Keycamp style holiday - EASTER in France

(20 Posts)
Portofino Thu 07-Mar-13 08:50:50

I had another thought - Pierre et Vacances. I know people who have been to Belle Dune and really enjoyed it. There is a kids club which I guess will run in school holidays. Normandy Garden Village looks quite nice too.

The only thing with P&V is to go for the biggest/best accommodation you can afford. I always say the same with mobile homes too.

Portofino Wed 06-Mar-13 14:22:07

Landal is like a dutch version of centerparcs.

Het Vennenbos (with dome, pool complex etc) is 389 euros for a week from 8th April. Or 569 from 25th March - not sure when your Easter holidays start/end.

Hoog Vaals is 469 euros for a week starting 29th March. I have been there 3 times. There is LOADS to do nearby. Aachen zoo, Monschau, the Drielandenpunkt which is the highest point in the Netherlands, and you can stand in 3 countries at the same time. There is a good maze there. Castles, steam trains, Valkenburg for its caves etc etc. Set in lovely, rolling countryside with gokarts, bike hire, pool. I love it. It has a particularly nicely placed terrace with wifi, (and heaters if needed) where I normally wangle some time with wine and the iPad whilst I ignore DH and DD playing mini-golf.

MaryBS Wed 06-Mar-13 13:51:27

Many places won't have kids clubs because its too early in the season, so if this is important to you, then make sure before you book what will be in place. I quite fancy Duinrell myself...

givemeaclue Wed 06-Mar-13 13:43:19

Could you go later in year, or in further afield where weather will be better? Kids clubs etc unlikely to be open at easter in northern Europe so check!

givemeaclue Wed 06-Mar-13 13:41:48

Easter is early this year so weather in France won't be hot , its still ski season !

EarlyInTheMorning Wed 06-Mar-13 13:35:57

I still can't make up my mind sad
I dread holidays actually
sad sad sad

makemineapinot Tue 05-Mar-13 22:33:40

There's more than enough to do in Duinrell!! And my kids have always made friends - and so have I!! Loads to do but relaxed and friendly. We love it x

cheerup Fri 01-Mar-13 20:43:24

Also, even though the weather was rubbish we still had a good time and are going back this year.

cheerup Fri 01-Mar-13 16:02:19

We were in holland (at Beekse Bergen) in Easter 2012 and the weather wasn't great but that doesn't mean it won't be better this year

Portofino Fri 01-Mar-13 15:08:03

Well there is certainly plenty to do. My experience of Canvas mobile home holidays is that there are other english speaking families surrounding you and dd always found a friend near the mobile/at the pool.

EarlyInTheMorning Fri 01-Mar-13 13:05:40

Portofino will a 9 YO boy and a 5YO girl find friends and plenty to do?

Portofino Fri 01-Mar-13 12:25:01

We are going to Holland for Easter actually.

Portofino Fri 01-Mar-13 12:22:49

We were in Holland at Easter in 2011 and Limburg was the hottest place in Europe that week. Warm enough to drink wine on the terrace. Was reasonably nice last year in Belgium as I recall too.

EarlyInTheMorning Fri 01-Mar-13 09:31:37

That does sound extremely appealing actually. What sort of weather can I expect at Easter? Stupid question, I know... still....

Portofino Fri 01-Mar-13 08:43:26

Duinrell is a great idea. It is not far from the bulb fields either which will be full glory then. And easy to do a day trip to Amsterdam. The town is a 10 minute walk and there is LOADS on site. website Most of the main UK operators go there.

makemineapinot Thu 28-Feb-13 20:43:31

Why not look at Duinrell in the Netherlands? It's fab and loads for whole family to do. Loads of recommendations on here x

cheerup Wed 27-Feb-13 20:23:42

You'd be pushing it to get anywhere in France that would be guaranteed dry at Easter - even the Cote D'Azur and Corsica although those would be most likely. Not sure about kids clubs either as these tend to operate during high season only (sites own ones that is, I think Canvas might run their clubs during other UK school holidays). If you're brave, and planning to book direct rather than with a UK operator who might get sold out for Easter hols, you could book a crossing and then leave booking your site until a few days before. That way you could look at the weather forecast for number of possible destinations i.e. Vendee/Champagne/Burgundy/Jura before deciding (Accuweather is good). Or, if the weather is poop all over, consider holland as it's more geared up to still be fun when it rains and is closer than a lot of France.

Lizzylou Wed 27-Feb-13 20:14:05

How close are you to UK ports? We've been to keycamp sites in southern Brittany and a gite on vendee. Vendee prob better weather but love Brittany more as a destination. If you could drive even further down would be more chance of drier weather. We are in nw, so more UK driving.

EarlyInTheMorning Wed 27-Feb-13 20:07:38

bumpy

EarlyInTheMorning Sun 24-Feb-13 15:25:59

With a 9 YO boy and 5 YO girl. Where in France could we go that is driveable, doesn't have to be hot but pref no rain, organised activities for kids, near a village or town?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now