Volunteer or sole holiday ideas for 17year old

(8 Posts)
JETS Wed 20-Feb-13 17:49:03

My lad no longer wishes to laze by pools with the rest of us but we dont want to leave him home on xbox all week - any ideas for volunteering holidays/adventure type holidays for under 18 year olds? Much advice gratefully received.

ripsishere Fri 22-Feb-13 01:44:39

How far is he prepared to travel? what is his budget? I've seen 'volunteer' opportunities offered which seem to be a money making scheme crossed with do gooding.
I know the Mercy centre in Bangkok and Pakred orphanage welcome volunteers. He would need to find his own accommodation and food though.

ripsishere Fri 22-Feb-13 01:46:02

Another idea is UNHCR in kuala lumpur. I do some teaching for them. One of the volunteer coordinators was speaking about a place in Southern Malaysia with a sizable Myanmar community.
They struggle to get volunteers to go down there for some reason. They are contactable via email.

JETS Sat 23-Feb-13 21:17:56

thanks ripsishere - turns out hes a bit more resourceful than me and has signed up to raleigh international in tanzania - just the small matter of much fundraising to be done but he has sold lots of computer games yesterday so guess my fears of the xbox were wildly off mark! - thanks for the comments though - much appreciated.

JETS, dd is going to Bourneo with Raleigh International in October, yy the fundraising has taken over my life, its a large amount to raise, plus air fare and injections shock
rip I`m going to pass on that information to dd as she is also looking for something for after Bourneo, looks really interesting.

ripsishere Sun 24-Feb-13 21:52:46

Excellent.

JETS Sat 16-Mar-13 17:55:24

Dreams, great re Borneo ! Have to say unanticipated cost of injections .... Best part of 500 quid! Just hope it's a good experience...fundraising going OK so far thanks to just giving!!!! Fingers crossed for them bothx

ripsishere Mon 18-Mar-13 01:12:27

Which injections cost that much? I am sure that they would be cheaper once you are actually in the country.
I know the GP in our flats offers Vax. Certainly not costing that much money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now