Daft sel-catering question

(16 Posts)
wigglesrock Sat 09-Mar-13 19:19:44

There's always been bathroom towels supplied any time I've went self catering. I'm envy, have a great time.

LayMizzRarb Sat 09-Mar-13 18:57:16

Box of Ice cube bags, so you can make ice cubes in the ice box. If the local water is dodgy you can fill them with bottled water/lemonade/tonic.

We are going to apartments in the Algarve, booked through Jet2 holidays and have re-read the description and they don't mention towels at all, just signed in online and was checking to see if we could order a welcome pack as our flight gets in at 7pm, and it may take an hour and a half to get to the resort. But seems I can't do that either.

The bottle opener was on the list! Only 112 days to go smile

FrankWippery Fri 22-Feb-13 11:26:53

I rented out several properties in Spain and provided all bed linen and towels, along with basic kitchen pots, pans, crockery and cutlery. I would absolutely recommend taking your own decent knife (or knives) as the ones in self catering places tend to be cheap and not all that good. Definitely take beach towels though, as only a handful of the places I managed provided them too.

Also second a corkscrew. Certainly in Spain, you will find that a good 80/90% of wine have corks rather than screw tops.

I always provided a basic 'welcome package' of milk, water, bread, butter, fresh orange juice, tea, coffee etc. I would would always offer to add extra bits (wine and beer) which they would then reimburse me for.

Have a fab holiday. Where are you off to?

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 22-Feb-13 11:19:58

We do self catering every year and we have never had to take bath towels, only beach towels. But do ask just in case.

notcitrus Fri 22-Feb-13 11:13:07

Agree with taking a few vital implements just in case you can't find them - last sc place we went to had about 30 cupboards all full of random stuff, some larder size, so took over an hour to find the first can opener...

Boxes/baggies for packing items for picnics etc also useful, and couple towels, for beach or period time.

Friend always takes a cookbook.

CointreauVersial Fri 22-Feb-13 10:35:56

Take a corkscrew! (memories of the skiing holiday where we had to dig the corks out of the wine bottles with a sharp knife).

jenpetronus Fri 22-Feb-13 10:33:45

Yep, I'm with you weegiemum I rent out a gite in France,and I send out an inventory when people book so guests know what's here. How are you going to take towels if you're flying?? hmm

weegiemum Fri 22-Feb-13 10:00:39

I rent out a self catering property in Scotland and we provide all linen - beds, tea towels, bath towels, beach towels etc as well as including all fuel (gas, electric, oil for heating, a bag of coal for the fire). Idcheck if I were you. I'd not be best pleased if I had to take my own towels abroad!

noramum Fri 22-Feb-13 09:57:03

It really depends. Normally it should be in the description but in doubt ask.

I normally check that each house I rent has all this as it just takes luggage space I can use better.

I second the knife-recommendation. Also maybe a couple of small tupperware style container so you can take snacks with you.

lottie63 Fri 22-Feb-13 06:36:54

Sometimes they dont allow you to take their towels to beach so you may need your own for thus

So not such a daft question after all, will email them.

Thanks

givemeaclue Wed 20-Feb-13 14:57:44

It depends on the property you need to check with the owner/travel company. Check tea towels and bed linen as well

steppemum Wed 20-Feb-13 13:47:59

I think it might depend.

My parents used to have a house overseas. they always provided sheets but not towels.

You should get some details through which tells you what you get.

If you are panning to cook yourself (as opposed to eating out) I would take small sharp knife and potato peeler, as I can cope with any ill equipped kitchen if i have those!

*self-catering

I am overly excited about going abroad for the first time in years, so started writing a list of things I need to take.

Will I need bath towels etc? or will they be provided?

I will take beach towels!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now