Independant female travelling

(13 Posts)
lottie63 Tue 19-Feb-13 16:08:52

Which European cities would you go to if you were a middle-aged woman travelling alone? Are there any that you'd avoid?

ripsishere Wed 20-Feb-13 02:05:49

Any TBH, I wouldn't be keen to go to Paris again or Zurich but I've spent a lot of time in both.
What are you looking for from your trip? culture, romance, food, music....

Earlybird Wed 20-Feb-13 02:19:54

ripishere - interesting that you say no Paris or Zurich. Is it because you are tired of them, or do you think they're not especially friendly for a female solo traveller?

I probably wouldn't go to Italy on my own, but would happily go to Vienna, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Munich, Barcelona, Madrid. Not sure about Amsterdam. You'd probably be fine in Brussels, but I've never particularly enjoyed it there.

OP - what sort of budget would you have? A walking and/or public transport, or a taxi sort of budget? I think you'd mainly have to be careful at night (no surprise there).

ripsishere Wed 20-Feb-13 02:21:37

Zurich the cost, Paris the familiarity.
I would love to go back to Antwerp and Rome though if anyone fancies taking me.

lottie63 Wed 20-Feb-13 11:16:52

Looking for warmth (June perhaps), outdoor cafe culture, lovely architecture, traditional boutique accommodation... Is Rome safe do you think? It'd be for a long weekend. As to budget... I guess average.. Don' want to cheapskate it as I'd be alone and want nice accomodation but dont want to spwnd a bomb either

lottie63 Wed 20-Feb-13 11:17:53

Oh and a citycentre to walk around/people watch... That kind of thing

CalamityJones Wed 20-Feb-13 11:22:05

I think Madrid would be perfect - I've been there several times (although not quite middle-aged) and I always loved the fact that you see older people out in bars at night; they're not just for young people. Plus it's lovely and sunny and friendly and better than Barcelona in every way.

lottie63 Wed 20-Feb-13 12:19:20

Oh now, Madrid might be good

I'd do both Rome and Florence myself. Paris no but that is because I don't like the city. Edinburgh is good on your own as is Barcelona but if you decide on barcelona keep your belonging safe as pick pockets are rife.

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Wed 20-Feb-13 13:02:17

Rome and Madrid both lovely.

I'd pick Verona, Pisa or Florence if I hadn't been before though.

lottie63 Thu 21-Feb-13 08:02:03

If Madrid, what airport would I fly into.. There seems to be two and is it easy to get public transport to the city centre from the airport? Thanks

CalamityJones Thu 21-Feb-13 21:05:52

I've only ever flown into Barajas, which is a short and easy train journey from Madrid; I wasn't even aware there was another airport. Hope you have a wonderful time if you end up going, it's a great city.

Geordieminx Mon 25-Feb-13 21:31:17

Barcelona every time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now