Visa advice please..help

(8 Posts)
CaliBee Sun 17-Feb-13 20:15:55

This may be a long shot but I hope somebody can help or at least point me in the right direction.
DP is in the British Army but is from the Caribbean so he has a forces exempt visa.
We are hoping to go abroad somewhere cheap and warm in March as a much needed break following a mc in January. It has suddenly dawned on me that he may not be able to travel out of the UK or Europe on his passport...does anybody have any experience of this?? The visa website doesnt really cover very much about a forces exempt visa.

jkklpu Sun 17-Feb-13 22:14:15

Where in the Caribbean? If it's a UK visa, the issue will be re-entry rather than exit to other countries, I'd have thought. Call the UKBA helpline.

ripsishere Mon 18-Feb-13 00:52:38

I imagine you'd have to look at the country you want to visit and see what their visa requirements are.
I remember being astonished that my Australian friend needed a visa to visit France.

CaliBee Mon 18-Feb-13 07:48:02

Hi and thanks for replying.
On a Grenadian passport he would need a visa to enter Tunisia. However as he is in the British Army he has a visa exemption and it is that which is causing the confusion. He is away on exercise this week and me working full time makes calling the helpline almost impossible...plus I think they will only speak to the passport holder. He is going to speak to his Sergeant today and see if the army welfare office will make some enquiries. Fingers crossed...I sooo need some sun.

Thistledew Mon 18-Feb-13 08:07:03

I assume he holds a Grenadian passport.

His passport is valid for travel to any country in the world.

The visa exemption only applies to the UK.

You need to contact the embassy of the country that you want to visit and find out what are the visa requirements for Grenadian National. This info may be on the website.

Don't bother calling UKBA. You have about a 50/50 chance of getting correct advise from their helpline when it relates solely to simple matters of UK visas and I wouldn't trust them even to tell you that they don't know the answer to a more complex query.

CaliBee Mon 18-Feb-13 12:00:03

Thanks thistledew...i thought as much re UKBA. He will need a visa to enter tunisia then. I looked over the weekend. Looks like our trip is dooomed....

ripsishere Tue 19-Feb-13 00:24:01

Why doomed? I am almost certain we got a visa on arrival in Tunisia. Don't' give up yet.

CaliBee Tue 19-Feb-13 08:00:42

Army have told him he can't go to Tunisia anyway. Because of the unrest there. Welfare are looking into weather he can travel to Europe. Alas prices are just too much for us for anywhere even vaguely warm sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now