tips on keeping a 18 month old not getting bored

(7 Posts)
tylersmummy12 Sun 17-Feb-13 12:11:30

Im going on holiday and we driving we'll be in the car for a good few hours any tips how to keep my 18 month not getting bored?

HollyMadison Sun 17-Feb-13 12:22:51

Cheap little plastic animals individually wrapped in paper that s/he can unwrap. Those drawing things with the bar that erases the picture, the name of which I have forgotten. Leave just before nap so DC sleeps a couple of hours.

tylersmummy12 Sun 17-Feb-13 12:25:19

I was gonna buy him a portable dvd player and and put mr tumble on would that be any good? (his fav show)

forevergreek Sun 17-Feb-13 21:00:56

How long are you in the car? I would just go before Naptime ( sleep 2 hours), then feed snacks and let him look for cars/ dogs etc..

I wouldn't get a DVD player it makes lots of children car sick !

Our portable DVD player has been a godsend. DC's were 3y6m & 1y10m when we got it. ( DS is now 4y8m and DD is 3)
It has a remote so I can control it even when driving.
Leaving around nap time is also good.
Make sure they can get to snacks & drinks if you are on your own.
We tend to put Thomas the tank engine feature lengths or disney DVDs on, as they are between 60 & 90 minutes long, then once it finishes we find somewhere to stop and give the DC's 20/30 mins to run around, unless they are asleep.
We haven't had any travel sickness with them, ironically both of them were more sick when they were RF.

noramum Sun 17-Feb-13 21:59:41

We scheduled the start so DD would have her main nap in the car. Then some CDs and Mummy on the backseat to do finger rhymes, looking at board books.

A break every 2 hours even just to stretch the legs.

A portable DVD for the last hour or so.

tylersmummy12 Sun 17-Feb-13 23:17:10

Thank you for the advice guys. And well be about 2/3 hours but hoping he'll sleep the way there or at least some of the way theresmile))

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now