People who know London please help!

(26 Posts)
BeaWheesht Sat 16-Feb-13 18:21:31

We will be in London for a few hours in June - arriving into kings cross about 3pm then staying at a hotel nearby so we can get Eurostar first thing. So, we have about 3 hours or so as kids will be shattered after long journey down from Scotland.

Ds is 6, dd is 2. Ds is desperate to 'see London' - any ideas? Open top bus?

Any tips?

Thanks

mirry2 Sat 16-Feb-13 18:32:19

I wouldn't do an open topped bus because of the traffic jams. What about the Millenium Wheel? There would be time for that, and you'd see the whole of London (going round only takes about 20 minutes). Or you could just walk along Regent's Street and go to Hamley's (if you can bear the thought)

BeaWheesht Sat 16-Feb-13 20:04:12

Definitely can't bear thought of hamleys!!

He wants to see Big Ben - possible from millennium wheel?

zgaze Sat 16-Feb-13 20:08:23

Go up the Shard! You will literally see all of London. I went last weekend - I'm not easily impressed by things like this but I thought it was amazing. Expensive but worth every penny.

zgaze Sat 16-Feb-13 20:10:15

(It's at London Bridge which is an easy 12ish minute direct tube ride from KX)

mirry2 Sat 16-Feb-13 20:14:07

Yes, if you can afford the Shard it would be a real wow for your ds (and you) as it has only recently opened and he can boast to his little friends.

If he wants to see Big Ben and Houses of Parilament you could take a tube to Westminster and walk over Westminster Bridge - they are almost directly in front of you and the Wheel is nearby as well. The only drawback to going on the Millenium Wheel would be that raining/mist/fog is likely to impair visibility. You might also have to take a taxi for part of the way if your ds is tired

OhThisIsJustGrape Sat 16-Feb-13 20:14:47

I recently went to London for the weekend (first time ever without another responsible adult with me so had to plan it all myself lol) and the website www.journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk London saved my bacon smile. You can just put in where you want to go from whichever point you are starting from and it plans it all for you. Another site I used is www.walkit.com which gives you directions if on foot.

BeaWheesht Sat 16-Feb-13 20:39:30

Great thanks off to look up all your suggestions

Milliways Sat 16-Feb-13 20:43:43

I would try and walk around the Houses of Parliament/Big Ben and then walk along to the Wheel. (The shard is VERY expensive),

There is also a new shopping centre opposite St Pauls that has a glass elevator that goes up to the top where apparently you get great views, including the Shard - I am going to try this next week when we have a day trip,

tribpot Sat 16-Feb-13 20:45:02

I think for three hours, I'd be tempted to go and see Platform 3/4 in Kings X (a bit difficult to miss!) and then go for a wander around the British Museum. Saves dragging across London.

If you do want to see the river, you could head down to Tower Hill and catch Tower Bridge and the Tower of London. There's a little area called St Katharine's Dock behind Tower Bridge which is lovely - a marina with restaurants and not too many tourists.

BeaWheesht Sat 16-Feb-13 21:10:32

Had forgotten about platform 9 3/4 - thanks grin

Shard too expensive I think given that we are en route to disneyland and that will potentially bankrupt us

Bouncey Sat 16-Feb-13 21:22:04

How about the number 23 bus? It's a normal bus, so not expensive but it's route goes past Trafalgar Square, St. Paul's etc, the Bank of England, and you could sit up on top. The full trip would probably take an hour (I occasionally used it on my way home, as worked in Westminster and lived near Liverpool street.)

sittinginthesun Sat 16-Feb-13 21:22:29

What does he actually want to see?

If its the main sights, then why not walk it. Buckingham Palace, The Mall, Trafalgar Square, down to the river, Houses of Parliament. If you stand on the Hungerford Bridge, you can see down to St Paul's, the Shard etc.

AndMiffyWentToSleep Sat 16-Feb-13 21:29:30

24 is another good bus route! Trafalgar Square, downing street, big ben - the tfl website will show you bus routes for more info...

BeaWheesht Sat 16-Feb-13 22:20:19

He mainly wants to see Big Ben I think.

mrspink27 Sat 16-Feb-13 22:29:09

Horseguards? No. 10 Downing Street?

LittleTyga Sat 16-Feb-13 22:39:32

I would get a 91 bus from outside Kings Cross which will take you to Trafalgar Square - see Nelson and his lions - then walk down Whitehall to see the soldiers on their horses then carry on past Downing Street, in to Parliament Sq walsk past Big Ben, over Westminster Bridge to South Bank, loads going on there especially for children the wheel is there, then walk back over Waterloo or Hungerford Bridge and get your bus back. Will be lovely hope you all have a fabulous time!

NannyPlumIsMyMum Sat 16-Feb-13 22:43:40

Definetly open top bus .

Life saver for us with small children.

Could not rate it highly enough ! We got to rest and they were entertained by the audio system/ sights/ snacks etc .

NannyPlumIsMyMum Sat 16-Feb-13 22:44:42

If you think you and will all be tired it HAS to be the open top bus !

2cats222 Sat 16-Feb-13 22:46:21

Personally i don't think you need to spend the money on going on the wheel unless you need to. Walk to the houses of Parliament. Big Ben from the pavement is awesome!

Wolfiefan Sat 16-Feb-13 22:49:21

Duck Tours!
My DS loved it.

sparrowfart Sat 16-Feb-13 22:49:26

What about a Thames cruise? I lived in London for years and never did one, then did one when I went back for a weekend a couple of years ago - it was fantastic, saw everything, plus the boat is a bit of a novelty for children. It did help that we sat on the top in the sunshine. You can get refreshments, there is a toilet, it is really cheap (about £7 I think?) and you can go right down to the Thames Barrier, or hop off at the Tower, or go back to Westminster right outside Parliament, where you get on. Really great way to see everything, and good value I thought.

BeaWheesht Sat 16-Feb-13 22:59:19

Boat sounds interesting - dd is only 2 but a boat might interest her too....

Wolfiefan Sat 16-Feb-13 23:03:12

But you see duck tours is a bus that can go on water.
Sooo much fun!

DowntonTrout Sat 16-Feb-13 23:05:13

If you are travelling by train look at the 2for1 rail offers on the Internet. You sometimes need to print off a voucher but otherwise all you need is your train ticket from that day.

They include things like the London eye, Thames cruises etc. so whatever you do you should be able to do it for half price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now