Kibbutz Volunteer for daughter?? yes or no??

(1 Post)
modernartdiva Wed 13-Feb-13 14:12:59

In the early 1980's I had an absolutley fantastic time as a Kibbutz volunteer. My daughter is in the lower sixth and finding it all rather...uninspiring so during a discussion with her about what to do after school maybe as as gap year I suggested her working on a kibbutz in Israel for a few months or so. After all I had had such a great time, met fantastic people (that I m still in contact with) and used it as a base to backpack in Greece and Egypt....etc...etc.....However as with most things when it comes to making decisions about your own kids all of a sudden the doubts start flying in. Is Kibbutz life still the same? is it more dangerous in Israel than when i was there? what if a bomb goes off in Tel Aviv and........ well you can see where i'm at with this. so......questions are:
-Does anybody have more recent experience than me of Kibbutz volunteering?
-Has anyones teenager/youngperson been? how was it for you?
I have to say that when I was there quite a few incidents happened that were on the news back home which caused my mum great worry, and in the pre-mobile phone era too! We were either completely oblivious to them or just carried on regardless like the locals.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now