Will I get evil looks

(22 Posts)
2cats222 Thu 14-Feb-13 20:39:59

My recommendation on BA club is to go for a row in the centre (and towards the back of the club cabin ie easy to get to toilets / galley and get in and out without disturbing people. The key part of this is that the two centre seats form almost a double bed so kids can lie / sleep / watch TV and have loads of room to play (either toys on the floor or on the beds when they're flat) without disturbing anyone or being in the aisle. You have space to get in there with them, or your own aisle seat is so close so you can see them / talk to them easily).
My experience of flying club is that provided parents do their best to look after kids people are accepting that it is difficult for small children and they can be noisy at times.
The only time I have ever been angry on a flight at parents was when the kids were running all over the place (causing hot drinks to be split etc) and doing NOTHING. Even when one of the kids got up 3 times during landing despite the flight attendants repeatedly reminding them they needed to be seated with seatbelts on.

noramum Thu 14-Feb-13 20:32:17

I flew Business, BA, Lufthansa and Virgin, a couple of times and always had little people on the flight. I sometimes pitied the child as the parents would be more interested in their own movies than interacting with their child.

As DD is 5 and I find short-haul boring with her I think I know what they are up to.

We delay long-haul until DD is able to entertain herself for a while.

borednotboring Thu 14-Feb-13 19:35:19

DD has flown business to St Lucia and Florida (small pay of for DH never being home and earning millions of air miles. It was fine both ways, a couple of funny looks when we got on, particularly on the flight to Miami, where there were more proper business people. My tips would be to get you and the 3 yr in two centre seats so you are effectively screened off from everyone else. Make sure you order children's meals in advance, otherwise they may not have them on board, even if you have children's tickets. My four year old didn't appreciate the business class meals.

Fluffy1234 Thu 14-Feb-13 16:05:43

I flew business class from Rio to London with DC and didn't notice any evil looks from passengers on the flight or in the lounge beforehand.

RunningOutOfIdeas Wed 13-Feb-13 20:12:34

I will be taking my DDs, 4 and 5 months on a 24 hour flight, club class soon. This will be DD1's fourth long trip. Can't say I have ever noticed evil looks but I am too busy to look at other passengers. DH will not be with us so it will be a challenge but I am happy to ask for help from the cabin crew.

When DD1 was 3 she watched a Barbie film 5 times over. Kept her really quiet. I take several small familiar toys and some new things. As soon as DD1 got a little bored, I would produce another toy. Sticker books and a small aqua draw mat were winners.

On one night flight in Virgin upper class, I think passengers were more pissed off with a group of 4 adults who talked loudly together for virtually the whole flight.

So don't worry about what other passengers might think. Just do your best to keep your DCs happy and enjoy your trip.

shinybaubles Wed 13-Feb-13 19:18:22

It is BA downstairs, as I thought any noise would be less obvious there in an open cabin rather than the top deck. Dh found his way to the kitchen last time we flew how he could fit anymore food in was amazing I felt constantly fed.

Foodstuff are fine to be taken through security as long as it is not liquid based e.g yogurt.

Do leave any uneaten food items behind on the aircraft.

If this is BA you're flying with, CW has a kitchen which has a selection of crisps, fresh orange juice and chocolate bars. The area upstairs if you are on a 747 tend to be quieter than that of downstairs. They also sometimes put a selection of food items upstairs too.

MooseBeTimeForCoffee Wed 13-Feb-13 18:50:57

We did a bit of research about the cabin space and booked the seats at the back, as there's quite a bit of floor space behind those seats he could sit and play in, if needed. Hopefully he'll just have some boob and fall asleep, so I can watch a film in peace and have a glass of wine

MadAboutHotChoc Wed 13-Feb-13 18:37:13

The crew will help.

shinybaubles Wed 13-Feb-13 18:19:15

We're coming back on a night flight, a middle of the night flight not looking forward to that, as I think he will be worse if he's tired.

MadAboutHotChoc Wed 13-Feb-13 18:11:46

We once flew club class to San Francisco - my DC were then 2 and 4 and cabin crew staff were fantastic in making sure they were happy and content

How do you think DC of the rich and famous travel?

MooseBeTimeForCoffee Wed 13-Feb-13 18:07:25

I've got something similar coming up in September, when we are returning to the UK for a holiday. DS will be 20 months. We're flying CC but luckily it's a night flight.

If the youngest gets twitchy and vocal walk up and down the economy aisles.

shinybaubles Wed 13-Feb-13 10:20:22

Thanks Atilla very goog point re the food, as the youngest could be possibley fed for 7 hours straight and be happy, he's like a dustbin at the moment, will I be able to take food through security - is it just liquids that are not allowed?

PeriPathetic Wed 13-Feb-13 10:15:26

What harm can an evil look do to you, though?

Most people flying with kids get 'the look' regardless of which class they're in.

Do your best to keep the kids quiet & occupied, hold your head up high and enjoy your flight. You've as much right to be there as anyone else.

No, you will not necessarily get the evils from other pax as long as you as parents make and are showing to make a real effort re your children.

Take enough foodstuffs for the flight that both of your children will eat and enjoy; CW cuisine is nice but would not consider it at all child friendly.

Pootles2010 Wed 13-Feb-13 10:09:27

Agree with CMOT- haven't flown clubclass (i wish) but we made mistake of taking ds on first class on the train to London - it was silent in there, so we were really aware of every noise ds made (he wasn't being naughty as such, just not silent). In comparison cattle class is really noisy anyway, so no one notices.

I'd take many, many toys, and cross your fingers! I downloaded a few (quiet!) apps on my phone that helped immensely.

shinybaubles Wed 13-Feb-13 10:04:56

Oh dear... well all I can do is my best with ds 2, the flight is a morning flight. If anyone can think of anything I have forgotten or any good tips I would really appreciate it. We probably won't be flying club class with the kids again, I thought it would be easier in club class with a bit more space ...prob a very bad idea.

CMOTDibbler Wed 13-Feb-13 09:57:37

Oh, its just as annoying wherever you are, but if I've paid £300 in economy I expect it to be hell. If I'd splashed out £3000 in club I'd want it to be rather more pleasant. Not that I get to fly up there very often as work don't pay for it.

shinybaubles Wed 13-Feb-13 09:47:42

CMOTDibbler we have also paid a ridiculous amount... and they are well behaved, I expect the youngest will fidget but so will I to be fair, it's not a night flight (I don't think). I didn't realise people had such a problem with children, surely it's just as annoying whatever class they are in if they make a fuss?

CMOTDibbler Wed 13-Feb-13 09:40:01

As long as your dcs are well behaved, especially on a night flight, and keep their fingers off the light switches, people prob won't be bothered. But people who have paid ££££ to get some peace in club will have a much lower tolerance for any noise or fidgeting tbh.

shinybaubles Wed 13-Feb-13 09:34:53

Spoke to another mum at the school about holidays, and she asked if we would be flying club class, and I said yes and she said I should prepare for all the evil looks and sighs from other travellers. Will be travelling on a 7 hour flight with ds almost 7 and ds 3.3. the older one will probably not move or speak once he realises he can watch cartoons and movies as he pleases, ds 3 will take a fair bit more work but he is well behaved and don't envisage any screaming, not as happy looking at a screen but I will take a few quiet toys and some books and colouring etc. Will we be ok, will people really stare and give us evil looks? Am begining to dread the flight now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now