Advice needed on strollers/flight/cruise with 1 yr old twins!!

(12 Posts)
givemeaclue Tue 05-Feb-13 12:40:52

I don't think you will be able to store the stroller in the cabin, usually leave it at bottom of steps to plane, but normally don't get it back till luggage collection, can be quite a way to carry the babies at other end

willow3006 Mon 04-Feb-13 19:27:18

Unfortunately no way we can afford an extra seat. The trip was bought as a gift from Hubby's parents.

I know the flight is fully booked too. Oh well, it looks as if I'll just have to hope they somehow sleep on our laps which is so unlikely!

Any more stroller recommendations?

Fluffy1234 Mon 04-Feb-13 16:10:23

I'd second trying to buy an extra seat on the plane and then booking three in a row to use between the four of you. You'll probably find your dc will wake mega early the first day.

givemeaclue Mon 04-Feb-13 15:41:02

Braver than me too! Only did short haul till our twins hit two and could have own seats. We weren't allowed to sit together either with under twos. And they don't like you walking up and down the aisle.

These may be some spare seats on plane so that you don't have to have child on you knee for ten hours.

Or, could you cruise from Southampton instead?

ceeveebee Mon 04-Feb-13 15:31:44

If you can afford it, perhaps buy one extra seat on the plane, and take a car seat on board - you can rotate them then!

I've never flown long haul with our twins but on short haul flights, we weren't able to sit together as you can only have one infant per row due to the number of oxygen masks. So you may want to check this if you haven't already.

Will there be on-flight entertainment - tv etc on back of seat in front of you? If not then ipad or perhaps leap pad would kill a few hours.

I hope you have a nice time. You are braver than me!

willow3006 Mon 04-Feb-13 15:06:13

Yes so the bassinet thing appears true - you cannot book. I think the whole stroller onboard seems very doubtful. I'm dreading having them on our knees for 10 hours but I think that is what is going to happen!!

Info from AAs website re bassinets:-

One onboard metal frame bassinet may be available on a first come, first served basis on 777 aircraft and some 767 aircraft. Bassinets cannot be reserved in advance. Please ask at check-in for availability

If using a bassinet onboard, please note that the infant must be held during take-off and landing and at all other times when the seat belt sign is on

Infant using a bassinet must be under 2 years old and weigh no more than 35 pounds / 15.8 kg

BTW if you are flying into Miami be prepared for a very long walk to arrive at the immigration hall.

You need to call them again. These children could well end up sitting in their parents laps for the duration.

McClaren for the strollers?.

I would carefully check on the actual dimensions of the skycot as your children may now be too big to actually fit into these. They are usually of more use for very young babies or newborns.

Strollers are usually taken at the entrance to the plane at the end of the jetway and put into the hold. There is no way they will allow you to take two strollers onto the aircraft and have these on the plane for your children to sleep in. Think you've been given extremely duff information there.

Would take along what they like to eat and drink and have enough of it for the flight. Also their favourite soft toy/blanket if applicable.

Jetlag is more apparant flying back to the UK as you "gain" time travelling westwards. The flight back to the UK is an overnight one. They are far more adaptable than adults are when it comes to jetlag.

They may want you to walk them up and down the plane aisles for much of the flight.

I would call customer services again. And ask the question again. There is no where for a child to sit in a stroller at all. See what they say this time.

I have always managed to book bassinet row when ds was small. A row anywhere else would be hell as people in front will want to recline. I can't see how that will work at all. Check their booking conditions and travel for young children.

youmaycallmeSSP Fri 01-Feb-13 18:10:30

It all sounds like far too much hassle. Leave the twins at home and take me instead grin

1) Try the O'Baby Atlas.

2) No idea but I have heard of buggies on planes before on long-haul flights. Get there super-early!

3) One word: iPad (and lots of snacks and drinks)

4) Get them into the new routine from day 1. They might be all over the place but they will adapt faster than you.

willow3006 Thu 31-Jan-13 20:22:24

Hi there

We are taking our twins on a caribbean cruise in March. They will be 16 months then. I have a few questions that some of you may be able to help with:

1. Can anyone recommend a cheapish lightweight umbrella type stroller? We are going to take 2 singles as it's easier than our double on the ship but need one that will go quite flat for storage in our cabin but it needs to be one that reclines so that they might sleep in it in the day so a bit comfy? any suggestions?

2. We are flying with American Airlines (10 hour flight! eeek!) and I called to see if we could book what they call skycots (I think it's those basinet things at the front of the plane). Apparently you can't book them, it's 1st come 1st served but the lady said we could take our strollers on board so they could sleep in them?! Surely this can't be right? Where would they go? In the aisle?! She insisted but I just can't see it. I don't know what to do otherwise as they have never slept on us so I'm not sure how they'll sleep. It's a full flight too!

3. Any suggestions on how to keep them happy during a flight is appreciated. They are just starting to stand up on their own so expect they may be walking a bit by March.

4. Lastly, what do I do about routine when it comes to the change in time zones? They wake up at 5.30am at the moment (always have no matter what I do) so still have a morning nap for an hour about 9 and then another hour about 12pm. Their body clock is going to be all over the place like ours so what do you do? We're only there for 7 days so not sure if it will take that long to get them on a new time zone routine?

Any suggestions welcome. Am half looking forward to and half dreading this trip!!

Willow x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now