Has anyone skiied during first timester? Is it a no no?

(32 Posts)
Franimal Tue 29-Jan-13 22:24:39

Not sure what to do. We have a skiing holiday booked next month and I just found out I'm 5 weeks pregnant ;-) Overjoyed at news, but wondering if I should ski or not. I'm reasonably good (can do reds competently) but worried about the risk of falling/injury... what would you do?

Wishihadabs Thu 31-Jan-13 07:20:38

OP I think if you feel like you couldn't bear it then you should do what you want. For me I felt like I might not have known I was pg (only took the test the day before).

Wishihadabs Thu 31-Jan-13 07:23:47

Only took the test cos ttc and had got shit faced before I knew with Ds (not ttc then btw)

MusicalEndorphins Thu 31-Jan-13 08:27:27

No, wouldn't do any sport where a hard contact was possible.

LIZS Thu 31-Jan-13 08:30:49

I wouldn't although have known one or two who have , well into to second trimester. Trouble is your ligaments are looser and centre of balance shifting so it may not be that easy to avoid injury even if a good skier. You can't allow for others' actions, getting caught by a lift or just catching an edge.

Moominsarehippos Thu 31-Jan-13 08:36:29

Check with your doctor! Maybe wearing body-armour would help? Are you a good skier?

I was building fences and lugging metal farm gates at 3 months!

MmeLindor Thu 31-Jan-13 20:21:35

I don't blame or judge anyone who skis when pregnant, as everyone has to make the decision themselves.

It is good to ask the question though, because hearing so many different opinions can help you to decide if you want to take that risk. And if you are leaning towards not skiing, it gives you good arguments in case someone is pressuring you to ski.

As I said, I think the risk of falling is not that much greater than if you just go for a walk in the snow, but you cannot judge who else is going to be on the slopes, and the possible injury is simply not as easy to treat when pregnant. Even if you are just bruised and a bit sore, you can't just pop some ibuprofen and have a hot bath.

I don't think I would enjoy myself because I'd be too busy worrying.

acmum Fri 01-Feb-13 23:09:29

I went skiing when I was 13 weeks pregnant, I fell a few times even thought i was being extra careful, so decided its best to stop. mentioned it to midwife when i came back and she check baby's heart beats (which they dont nronally do so early on in the preganncy) baby was fine and he's now 27 months old smile

Babies are well protected inside if you are a good confident skier and avoid crowds you should be ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now