Rental car hire in US: should we rent a child car seat or take our own?

(18 Posts)
BertieBotts Germany Sun 03-Feb-13 16:57:54

This looks pretty good - can be rear or forward facing to 18kg and the side impact protection looks good.

MOSagain Sun 03-Feb-13 16:08:13

I always take my own to the States as hiring actually costs more than buying a new one. Only once has one been damaged, flying BA and somehow they managed to snap the top bit off. There were very good though and paid for a new one within approximately 3 weeks. was a bit inconvenient though.

GinandJag Wed 30-Jan-13 18:00:06

When our children were of that age, we took our own. The charges for renting a car seat mount up and they are very basic models, and are not always particularly clean.

ChippyMinton Wed 30-Jan-13 17:58:42

walmart or target are good places to buy a seat, if you can get to one without your DD in the car.

I did this, but a friend kindly bought the seats and met us at the airport with them. I brought them home in a big travel bag, as checked-in baggage, and use them as spares.

No need to be so narky eldon. I have lived in Australia where there are insurance claims following accidents that haven't been paid because of illegal car seats. What I am saying is that it is against the law in some counties and people have been caught. Unfortunately the hard way which has been following an accident.

Ilisten2theradio Wed 30-Jan-13 16:24:05

We have hired them in various countries, and I had been shown exactly how to tell if a seat was fitted properly by a great fitter over in the UK. I was reduced to tears in Bordeaux airport after trying 3 seats that didn't fit the car we had hired. Eventually one of the porters helped and we found something suitable. We had similar issues in Greece and had to change the car to get any of their seats to fit any of the cars.
We have taken seats to the US - but they were boosters and so I assume OK at the time.
You need to consider how you would get from the airport with no seat to the place you would buy one from if you decide to buy.

Franimal Wed 30-Jan-13 15:25:07

Thanks for all your thoughts, I'll research buying one over there, think that'll be the best solution.

haggisaggis Wed 30-Jan-13 14:27:00

I have rented car seats on holiday in US before and they have been pretty dreadful - and very expensive. Once they just pointed at a pile of battered seats and told us to pick one. Latterly we took boosters with us - but now thankfully they are old enough not to need them. If possible, buying while you are there would be best / cheapest.

TeWiSavesTheDay Wed 30-Jan-13 14:22:35

I've decided to hire because I don't trust the baggage handling machines not to bash the car seats around - plus the temperature changes in cargo - and compromise them. Getting compensation for a broken car seat is not how I want to spend my holiday!

EldonAve Wed 30-Jan-13 14:13:40

yes of course silly me, my UK Britax seat is totally unsafe compared to a US Britax seat

It isn't about being stopped and checked it is about what happens if you are involved in an accident. That and breaking the law.

EldonAve Wed 30-Jan-13 13:37:58

the likelihood of getting stopped & them checking your seat has a US approval is minimal

Never take your own unless you know it is legal to use it in that country and all states.

using your own seat for example is not legal in Australia

EldonAve Wed 30-Jan-13 13:14:13

we always take our own

stella1w Tue 29-Jan-13 22:15:47

Take your own... Car rental ones are crap.

BertieBotts Germany Tue 29-Jan-13 21:58:24

It might be worth buying a cheap-ish one when you get there?

BertieBotts Germany Tue 29-Jan-13 21:58:07

I think the car seat laws vary by state, but UK seats are not approved for use in the US because they have different testing bodies etc. Depending on how strict the law is where you're going they might turn a blind eye to a UK seat (as long as it's the appropriate "stage") or not even notice, but I think for example some states require seats to have a top tether which is only just coming in here and isn't on all UK car seats yet.

Laws for all states - you'd have to get someone else's opinion on how likely you'd be to get pulled up on the UK seat thing!

Franimal Tue 29-Jan-13 21:53:38

Has anyone rented a child car seat abroad and was it successful?
We are thinking of taking our own, but worried about it getting damaged in transit/ more to take.
We are doing a long trip so will need about x3 different rental car services, so it gets complicated...
Our daughter will be 22months at time of travel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now