Best UK holiday destination for non-driver with kids?

(13 Posts)
MissMilliment Tue 29-Jan-13 10:49:23

Help!! I'm facing the possibility of losing my driving license (medical reasons), so I'm looking for any advice on good places in the UK for a summer holiday for a single non-driver with a teenager and a toddler.

I'm not too worried about getting to the destination (within reason - Outer Hebrides might be a bit too ambitious!), but it has to have what we need within easy reach once we get there.

Teenager is a keen photographer and is happy mooching around interesting buildings/shops/countryside, cafes, etc. Toddler is typical toddler so we'll need outdoor space - beach would be ideal, but not obligatory.

I don't like holiday camps/organised fun, so am thinking of a cottage or apartment in a 'naice'(!) town, with plenty to do within walking distance and potential for the odd day trip out by train or bus.

We live in the Midlands so public transport links are pretty good. And if I end up keeping my license we'll just drive there instead smile

Any suggestions are very gratefully received smile

Edinburgh. Easy to get to seaside towns by public transport, Glasgow is 40 mibs away in the train, the zoo has pandas.... Something for everyone smile

legalalien Tue 29-Jan-13 11:09:53

Portsmouth?

MisForMumNotMaid Tue 29-Jan-13 11:13:24

Llandudno. Plenty of reasonably priced hotels, fantastic scenory and photo ops for your teenager, beach, pier, kids farm etc for todler. Lots of food options from fast food through to nice restaurants, Train station to center ( nice train journey to). Plenty of day trips out with transport if gou want to venture out.

MissMilliment Tue 29-Jan-13 11:35:04

These sound fab, thanks. Will be googling later smile
Any more?

sailorsgal Tue 29-Jan-13 17:51:55

Bournemouth. Great rail links. lovely beaches and lots for the kids.

St Ives. Station right in the middle of town. Three beaches, teenagers go free in Tate Modern. Don't miss the fantastic museum by the harbour.

MissMilliment Tue 29-Jan-13 18:46:24

Ooh, these all sound ace. Thanks all smile

Miss Milliment was my favourite character in those books! I meant to say Tate St Ives of course. We have been both driving and by train (we live in the Midlands too). By train was the best- St Ives impossible to drive in anyway.

whateveritakes Tue 29-Jan-13 21:44:22

Isle of Wight?
Thomas the tank engine steam train for toddler. Lots of nature nice towns and odd quirky stuff for teenager.
Fab beaches.

Follyfoot Tue 29-Jan-13 21:48:24

Whitby? Lovely to stay in and lots of other places you can get to by train

MissMilliment Tue 29-Jan-13 22:01:15

So glad you liked her, barbarian - I thought she was fab!
Thanks for these suggestions everyone - St Ives sounds great though it looks like a whole day on trains there and back which might be too much for the toddler/my nerves smile.

Was considering Whitby even before the potential no-car bombshell landed on me, so I'll definitely look into that.

Fluffy1234 Wed 30-Jan-13 12:20:32

Tenby in Pembrokeshire is great for pottering around with absolutely stunning beaches.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now