How to complain effectively to easyjet or solve the carseat problem

(12 Posts)
RoadtoSussex Thu 31-Jan-13 09:14:53

I have a Kiddy seat and feel fairly confident it would work with an airline belt, plus the Kiddy website says that they work well for flying. I have also heard this on MN.

On the other hand, on some airline sites there are references to the seat having a 5 pt harness, so it is not too clear. As there are two parts to the seat it is also a bit more of a pain to carry through airport. So I have never tried. But I will measure mine for you if you like!

The other thing might be a high backed booster which is lighter, but one which has a harness.

do the Kiddy seats not need a 3 point belt to fit in rather than a lap belt?

RoadtoSussex Tue 29-Jan-13 22:40:35

The only seat I can think of is that one of the Kiddy car seats might fit.

RoadtoSussex Tue 29-Jan-13 22:39:43

Can't your DH have the other one on his lap, but have an extra booked seat to occasionally put that child on?

ceeveebee Tue 29-Jan-13 22:24:18

And it's on easy jet website as alternative to a car seat

easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5552/~/flying-with-children

ceeveebee Tue 29-Jan-13 22:22:40
ceeveebee Tue 29-Jan-13 22:20:42

Isn't there some kind of harness/strap thing you can use instead if a car seat - one of my friends mentioned something the other day. I think you have to have infant on your knee at take off and landing but other than that they can go on the seat with this harness thing. Let me try and google it for you

tiggersreturn Tue 29-Jan-13 22:15:26

Thanks for the advice

norkmonster Tue 29-Jan-13 19:56:39

We flew with easy jet and our ds 2 days before he turned 2 & returned 2 days later. We booked a seat for him both ways & it was absolutely fine - he sat on our knee during take off and landing and otherwise had his own seat.

I am sorry. May be I have got this wrong but the party is
You
Dh
6 year old
Twins, one on a knee the whole way and the other supposedly in a car seat which is in a booked seat?

Is that right?

By the time you board the plane dates of birth won't be checked so I honestly don't think any,one will realise one of the twins is not in a car seat.

the narrowest one i can find is the Britax prince which can be fitted with a lap belt and is only 1cm too wide (is 43cm)

tiggersreturn Mon 28-Jan-13 21:55:15

I booked flights with easyjet for just before my dts turn 2. As I've tried flying with them before (and swore I'd never do it until they turned 2) I wanted to book a seat for one and the other on a lap. I also have ds who will be 6 then. Dh is coming too.

I followed all the advice on easyjet's site about booking a seat for an under 2 including a call centre conversation where I was told just to book it and then call up to have it changed to an infant on the manifest.

When I did this they told me I'd have to have a car seat. I asked if this was really necessary given dt1 (my seated one) would be 2 in less than 2 weeks when we went out and under a week when we returned. They said they'd send me details and said it couldn't be a booster.

The details they sent me say the seat must be 42cm wide.

Not a single group 1 car seat fits that criteria.

I asked them to provide me with a list. They've just repeated the criteria.

I got passed to some other team who first offered that I could pay for the seat, put a car seat in the hold and keep dt1 on my lap for the whole flight. It's 5 hours. I'm not doing that again particularly not with an active toddler who can't safely be left at all. It was bad enough with 2 x 8 months.

The next offer was they'd refund me the difference between a lap and the seat.

I don't want to do this because firstly it's really unpleasant as then neither dh or I can ever get up and 2ndly we end up split up as there's only one extra oxygen mask per row.

I offered to keep dt1 on my lap for all fasten seat belt signs but guy on phone said they couldn't guarantee this so it wouldn't be allowed.

He wanted to cancel my seat but I wouldn't let him do it without the offer being made in writing first.

Nothing has been received in over a week.

Does anyone know what to do in cases like this?

Is there anyone in easyjet I can contact high up to get this looked at?

Does anyone know any group 1 car seats easily available which can be used on easyjet and conform with the 42cm guidelines? I'm loathe to spend lots of money, having already got 3 group 1s on something they'll reject at the gate.

All advice gratefully received.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now