Nice restaurant in London for special meal with DD11

(21 Posts)
OBface Tue 29-Jan-13 12:04:16

Came on to recommend the Wolseley but see I've been beaten to it!

Great food and atmosphere without being in the slightest bit pretentious. Can't go wrong.

FlouncingMintyy Tue 29-Jan-13 10:11:17

I would go to Orso or The Ivy in Covent Garden where you have a chance of spotting a famous face!

TheWave Tue 29-Jan-13 10:10:29

I second Skylon at Festival Hall. Walk across bridge from embankment to the southbank and admire the view first. See if any free stuff going on inside the complex that you can wander past too.

janinlondon Tue 29-Jan-13 10:06:52

The Goring (where Kate stayed the night before the royal wedding, if she's into that sort of thing...?) does v good afternoon tea and is close to the Victoria theatres if you are in that neck of the woods.

tiokiko Tue 29-Jan-13 06:54:32

Yes, The Wolseley is great - swish enough to feel like a treat but friendly and great service. They serve everything from afternoon tea to burgers or oysters so there should be something to suit you both.

PirateShit Tue 29-Jan-13 06:46:40

Me and my sister took my mum to London to see a show last year. We took her for lunch first, to Koffmans at the Berkeley hotel. It was amazing!! Seriously, can't rate it highly enough. Michelin starred food, gorgeous surroundings and the service was great. It's an absolute bargain at lunch time too, I think it was 25 for 3 courses. It's in the Berkeley hotel which is stunning, the whole thing was a real treat. Have a lovely time, wherever you choose to go.

jumpingjackhash Tue 29-Jan-13 06:42:32

The Wolseley is brilliant for celeb spotting as well as doing great food in a nice setting. I also second the Fashionista afternoon tea at The Berkeley, v cute and indulgent.

ohfunnyhoneyface Tue 29-Jan-13 06:25:34

The W hotel do a very very cool afternoon tea!

mimolette Tue 29-Jan-13 06:16:02

Wolsey and Rules are both rather grand and lovely. For views - and a scary lift ride - try Duck and Waffle which has recently opened near Liverpool Street. All of these and most of those mentioned above are best to book in advance. Enjoy - at that age I thought Aberdeen Steak House was the height of sophistication on a trip to London!!

LazyMachine Tue 29-Jan-13 05:20:04

Brown's Hotel for proper posh tea in an amazing setting.

Off their website:
"The English Tea Room – serves one of the most famous afternoon teas in London and a selection of lighter meals throughout the day. Voted 'Top London Afternoon Tea 2009' by The Tea Guild, this award-winning Traditional Afternoon Tea consists of a choice of 17 teas, including Brown's own blend, along with delicious finger sandwiches, an assortment of delicate pastries, fruit and plain scones with clotted cream and strawberry preserve, as well as freshly baked cakes from the trolley. A pianist plays throughout."

VestaCurry Tue 29-Jan-13 05:11:52

Late afternoon tea - Claridges is wonderful.

thehumanstain Tue 29-Jan-13 04:52:55

Skylon on the Southbank for the amazing views (food is very good too).

ceeveebee Sun 27-Jan-13 23:11:44

Criterion gets my vote too. It's so grand inside with a high domed mosaic ceiling but its reasonably priced if you manage to get a set menu deal on top table or similar

CHOOGIRL Sun 27-Jan-13 23:05:45

Savoy Grill in Savoy hotel is lovely and nearish to Theatreland. My DD (aged 7) really enjoyed it there. Landmark Hotel is also lovely. Wonderful views at Daniel Galvin Windows (Hilton)

dinkystinky Sun 27-Jan-13 19:17:16

IF you want to do afternoon tea, Pret a portea at the Berkeley Hotel is lovely! Lots of biscuits and cakes in fashionista designs. Pricy but fun.

ICantFindAFreeNickName Sun 27-Jan-13 19:15:43

Wow thanks for the quick responses. Just reading the menu's is making my mouth water. Wahaca & Inamo both sound great (& I would like to try them next time we are all together in London), but I think Fortums & Criterion are more the sort of thing I'm looking for.

uggmum Sun 27-Jan-13 18:45:45

I second Wahaca. It's lovely there, there is one in Soho and round the corner from Covent Garden.
Fortnums also do a lovely cream tea in their parlour restaurant. They do ice-cream sundaes too.

zumo Sun 27-Jan-13 18:43:45

http://www.criterionrestaurant.com/
Its fantastic, tell them its a spoecial time and they will see that its first class, not that they wouldnt but you get my drift?
The also do special Pre show deals as they are quieter then.

SchmancyPants Sun 27-Jan-13 18:42:43

If you like Asian food, there is a restaurant called Inamo on Wardour street in soho which has interactive tables- you order by tapping your choices on the table and you can also change the virtual 'tablecloth' etc. It is quite pricy but they have a set menu which is £20 for three courses and I think runs up to 5.15, if that'd be any good for you? The novelty of it was enjoyed by our 18 year old so I bet an 11 year old would like it smile

Forgetfulmog Sun 27-Jan-13 18:41:31

Wahaca - Mexican place owned by Masterchef winner tomasina miers - amazing. Gorgeous food in a really relaxed setting & there is loads of choice. They have a website

ICantFindAFreeNickName Sun 27-Jan-13 18:36:58

Over half-term my 11 year old DD & I will have an afternoon / early evening in London without DP & DS. It's after a show & we will be quite dressed up, so I thought I would take her out for a special meal. Can anyone reccomend anywhere that would be nice.
I was wondering about one of the old posh hotels, but have no idea which ones would nice & friendly & w hich ones would be snooty (even though my DD has impeccable manners). Alternatively is there somewhere very girly we could go to.
The type of meal is not that important, don't mind sandwiches, afternoon tea or full meal. Budget is pretty flexible as it's a once off occassion, that I would like her to remember

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now