Should I cancel my trip to Australia - thoughts appreciated!

(9 Posts)
lifesobeautiful Wed 30-Jan-13 12:36:26

Thanks for your further thoughts everyone - I knew it was the right decision as I felt an emormous weight off my shoulders as soon as I made it. PLUS, believe it or not (I can't) we were due to fly yesterday, and yesterday morning I found spots on his tummy - and he's got chicken pox! IMAGINE. Flying with a child with chicken pox...we could have been marooned in Singapore if they spread to his face. So, an all round good decision methinks!

ripsishere Tue 29-Jan-13 15:35:16

Good shout. We've been to Aus several times. It's a great place, but a long long long way away.
I wouldn't even consider going for less than three weeks and it's only about 8 hours away from us now.

gregssausageroll Mon 28-Jan-13 19:55:27

I travel alot and even I wouldn't do Australia for 2 weeks. Ok, I would if something happened to family but as a holiday no way. Far too long for a short holiday.

specialsubject Mon 28-Jan-13 14:20:21

excellent, clearly the right decision for you and glad it hasn't cost too much.

Australia isn't going anywhere.

mummymeister Mon 28-Jan-13 12:12:58

pleased to hear OP hope all goes well with your new baby and that you have a fab family holiday once the LO arrives.

lifesobeautiful Sun 27-Jan-13 16:06:54

Thanks for your advice. I've decided not to go..and I feel so relieved!! Disappointed not to be going on an adventure..but so pleased I'm not going to have to endure that flight! It'll only cost about £120 to cancel - and the tickets will be refunded - 2500 - so financially fine (Singapore Airlines are amazing). And all the holiday stuff I've bought we can use to go on our family holiday - with husband! - in March. Thanks again!

specialsubject Sun 27-Jan-13 14:28:54

assess the financial impact, that might help - your travel insurance won't cover this cancellation.

but if you are really going to hate it, it's only money.

mummymeister Sun 27-Jan-13 12:04:19

personally i would not go. I am happy to be called a wimp because of this. being on a longhaul flight with small kids on your own is no fun but if pregnant as well doubly so. be kind to yourself and put yourself first. i am sure your family will understand. Its not just the flight its the jet lag and the before and after stuff as well.

lifesobeautiful Sun 27-Jan-13 11:36:27

I've got tickets to fly to visit family in Australia with my 2-year-old son. We're going for two weeks, and I'm five months pregnant. It was a last-minute thing and my husband's not coming because he can't take the time off work. HOwever, I've been getting increasingly anxious about the flight. Sleepless night anxious. My bump has really come out now, and my toddler is going through an incredibly energetic stage. Used to love TV, now not interested - literally just wants to run around all the time. I can barely get him to sit down for his bed-time story. SO, the thought of the 13 hour flight to Singapore, then 9 hour flight to Sydney, is truly terrifying me. And I'm wondering if we should cancel and just wait and go on holiday with my husband in March somewhere hot. I also wonder if the trauma of the flight and jet lag is worth it for only two weeks? So, do you think I'm being totally wimpy and unadventurous or am I being sensible and saving myself a lot of stress? Please help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now