Travel tips for 5 month old baby travelling abroad to India and Indonesia

(7 Posts)
Stokey Tue 29-Jan-13 14:23:50

We went to Malaysia & Australia with dd1 at 6 months. Flight was fine, slept well in the sky cot. We took a UV tent with us which was great on beach and by the pool. We also really needed AC in our room as it was baking hot, and we needed to take her out of the heat regularly. We also got a mosquito net to cover the buggy so in the evenings we'd take her in the buggy ( just mclaren type but reclined) and she slept while we had dinner.
would advise limiting travelling as much as possible. I was breastfeeding but started weaning while we were out there, just giving her bits of what i had & she was fine.
We didn't need malaria pills but did try not to get bitten.

ForTheLoveOfSocks Sat 26-Jan-13 09:57:22

Fly?? flew

meditrina Sat 26-Jan-13 09:57:08

Visit a proper travel health clinic for advice on immunisations.

Yes, to anti-malarials (depending on exact itinerary) and insect repellent.

ForTheLoveOfSocks Sat 26-Jan-13 09:56:59

I fly to Egypt with my nine month old DD <shudders at memory of flight>

It was so difficult. She wouldn't sleep much on me, and there wasn't much room to try and comfort her. And I only had a five hour flight.

If I had to do it again, I would book a seat and take a suitable car seat. I know DD would of slept in her car seat better than on me.

I would also take a lightweight pram/pushchair. I took my sling and it wasn't easier.

Pourquoimoi Sat 26-Jan-13 09:55:06

Breast feed if possible, easier to avoid bugs etc. Or take pre measured sachets of baby milk to mix with sterilised water, or ideally buy cartons ready made up if you have enough room in your luggage.
Not sure I'd do it to be honest, but we all have different opinions.

Flossbert Sat 26-Jan-13 09:44:48

Don't know anything about long haul, but definitely recommend feeding the baby at take off and landing which seems to help them avoid the painful ear thing.

HTH grin

Alvarsmum Sat 26-Jan-13 09:42:59

Does anyone have any advice for a parents travelling with a 5month old baby to Mumbai followed by Medan in June? I.e travel tips? immunisations (which jabs I should ask for? anti-malaria medication?), whether you'd recommend this much travelling for a youngster? Booking flights with a baby carriers/cots (not near the loos!)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now