Centre Parcs Whinfell Forest

(14 Posts)
makemineapinot Wed 23-Jan-13 23:26:29

Just booked for Easter - any hints, tips for things o do or areas/things to avoid would be gratefully received! Thanks x

Fluffy1234 Thu 24-Jan-13 08:43:04

Try and fit in a session at the spa, it is soooo lovely.

makemineapinot Thu 24-Jan-13 22:05:47

We are!! :-) booked kids in a 3hour sports day thingy and booked spa or 2 for me and my mate!!! Good to hear it's lovely, thanks!

MrsBungleBear Thu 24-Jan-13 22:07:29

We had a great time. The spa is wonderful. We spent loads of time in the pool and walking round the lake and in the pub

Iamalmost40 Thu 24-Jan-13 22:42:30

The thing I always do is to go to the pool in the evening on my own, leaving ds asleep with dp. I can go on all the slides and usually have the outdoor pool to myself in the dark.

makemineapinot Fri 25-Jan-13 00:27:38

Ooh kids would love that (3 of them, 10 and 11) swimming in the dark! Maybe the pub might feature too...

zumo Fri 25-Jan-13 04:39:38

Swimmings free, all other activities are expensive, Aldi etc in Penrith nearby, but they wont let you drive back to your lodge so could have a bit of a walk with the shopping if you leave site.
Keswick is a lovely place with a small market on Saturday.
Most people never leave site but we feel its ashame not to as so many nice places nearby, weatherig pottery was excellent as they did kids activities but please check as whilst we have been to CP recently we didnt got to weatherig this time

makemineapinot Fri 25-Jan-13 17:48:41

Thanks. We've booked a couple of activities and think we'll bring food supplies with us!! Dd would love the pottery though!

zumo Sat 26-Jan-13 15:47:25

Heres the pottery
http://www.wetheriggs-pottery.co.uk/
Its about 5-10 mins drive and has a cafe too.
Our daughter had a go on a potters wheel, the blioke was excellent and so good with her, they then glazed and fired the pot and posted it home

WhenDidAllThesePetsAppear Tue 29-Jan-13 18:25:00

We have just come back from there - it was amazing!!
If you have your own bikes then I would recommend taking them with you.
The burgers at Hucks are expensive but OOOHHHH SOOOOOOO worth it and the milk shakes are to die for.
We had breakfast in the lodge and took sandwiches into the dome for dinnertime, stayed there till late afternoon, showered and changed and got a hot chocolate for the walk back to the lodge, then went back and got dressed and back down for a nice meal and a couple of bevvies at night.
There is a cracking supermarket on site and a really nice clothes shop called Spirit (sale was on when we were there so it would have been rude not to have bought anything!!!)
The kids will love the sports Plaza there is a climbing wall, pool tables and air hockey tables (they take £1 coins), indoor football and lots and lots of other things to do.
Enjoy grin

makemineapinot Tue 29-Jan-13 22:37:37

thanks guys!! Great advice there and think DD would love to make her own pot - much better than simply painting a ready made one!! Can't wait :-)

winefairy Wed 30-Jan-13 17:00:14

The World of Spa malarky is lovely but take a magazine or book and flip flops in with you so you can lounge around in one of the cozy seating areas between steam room visits.

There's a really lovely Booths supermarket a couple of miles away from CP in Penrith just off the motorway which although not the cheapest is full of the most luscious food and we like it as a eating out/bringing own food compromise! We stock up on the way.

CP's own delivery service for takeway is good too though. It's one central kitchen that has Indian, Chinese, Pizza and some Thai dishes which you can order any combo of plus the banquet meals are staggeringly huge and good value.

Take the basics....tea, coffee, salt, pepper, washing up liquid and tablets and spare toilet roll as the paltry offering they leave for you doesn't last a day. The Parc Market sell good disposable bbqs so we always plan to have at least one as there is a bbq area outside every lodge. Even at Easter the weather should be fine enough as the areas are quite sheltered.

We also like to take a new DVD for one evening although not all types of lodge have a player so check first.

Family quiz in the Lakeside Inn is good fun and free.

As for activities it depends on your children but DD always like the family horse riding trek. Adults aren't obliged to go it just means all ages!

DH took DD on the new caving experience which was expensive but both declared it was the best thing they had ever, ever done!! Never seen either of them so excited. It is tough though!! A real challenge and outrageously realistic. Would recommend that!! It lasts an hour and they spend the next hour recovering!

Anyway, boring myself now so will leave it at that grin

makemineapinot Thu 31-Jan-13 22:00:53

Ooh thanks wine fairy! Ds wanted o do the caving but chose high ropes instead and dd is booked on horse riding! Family Uzi sounds good and thanks for heads up re takeaways - Chinese for my mate, Indian for me and dd and pizza for ds and mate's dd! Sorted! Will have portable DVD payer or journey anyway and always bing supplies - wine... [:-)]

ISeeSmallPeople Thu 31-Jan-13 22:03:40

Booths is lovely. Shop there rather than the parc market before you enter.

Pet shop next door for wild bird food. You will want to feed all the creatures that end up on your patio.

Take rucksacks! Everywhere you go you have to carry children's stuff and none of the bikes have baskets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now