Holidays without a car but with a one-year-old

(17 Posts)
Hannykha Tue 22-Jan-13 13:50:15

Help! My OH is really keen to go away for a 'proper' holiday just us 3, not in the UK. I'm terrified at the thought of flying with 13 month old (did it when she was tiny but different kettle of fish now) and also aware that as we don't drive it might be very difficult wherever we go. Anyone got any advice or ideas ? I'm quite a stressed person generally so the easier the better (otherwise whats the point of a holiday ;) I'd be hugely grateful for any thoughts
thanks
Hx

Sandra2013 Tue 22-Jan-13 13:59:23

We travelled by plane when our son was 12 months old. Our flight was 3 hours.
We had baby carrier at the airport and bus so he was easy to transport.
Got a pushchair from our location.

I made sure he doesn't sleep before the flight. So when we were taxing and taking off I gave him a milk bottle to suck (good for his ears too) and he fell asleep and slept almost through the whole flight.

Depends of your destination but if you go to a place with good public transport there is no need to have a car.

Hannykha Tue 22-Jan-13 14:04:59

thanks Sandra - where did you go of you don't mind me asking?

Sandra2013 Tue 22-Jan-13 14:10:41

From Heathrow to Helsinki, Finland.

Nothing too exotic smile

Hannykha Tue 22-Jan-13 14:17:16

ohh that sounds nice... think OH was thinking somewhere warm though x

shrimponastick Tue 22-Jan-13 14:23:16

We took DS to Benalmadena aged 17 months.

So he was a little older than yours. It was easy. Took cheap umbrella fold buggy, parasol! minimal clothes, suncream etc.

We were in a hotel on a HB basis, there was plenty of choice for him to breakfast and dinner. As it is a buffet you can always find something suitable.

No car for us there. Coach transfer from the airport - walked around the resort. Caught a bus on the odd day trip out.

Short flight time to mainland Spain from UK. I found that everyone was very helpful in the hotel and in restaurants etc. They seem to like children. smile

If you go somewhere 'touristy' you will be able to buy nappies, any formula ifyou still need it. Pharmacies are excellent if you have any minor ailments.

Sandra2013 Tue 22-Jan-13 14:29:26

3h flight is long enough to get you somewhere warm smile

Don't worry too much. Just make sure you can have his food etc easily.

We're soon off to Barcelona with 3 year old and 11 month old. Don't need a car as we'll be in the city.

We've been to loads of places with kids.

Depends what you want? Do you want a city, beach, countryside?

whateveritakes Tue 22-Jan-13 14:31:13

Jersey takes as little as half an hour and you don't need to use a car when you're there (buses are tourist friendly).

Cruise?

Hannykha Tue 22-Jan-13 15:10:39

LIke the idea of jersey - but spose that won't be warm... BArcelona had occurred to me too becuase it has beach as well as city/cultural stuff. I'll look into those two - thanks so much for the encouragement guys and for not calling me a wuss!

Let me know if you have any tips for baby friendly accomodation in Barca or Jersey x

Sandra2013 Tue 22-Jan-13 15:56:12

We have stayed before in Turin Hotel and are going there again.
Excellent location and it has family rooms for 3/4 people.
Hotel also has baby cots and baths.

www.hotelturin.com/

Hannykha Tue 22-Jan-13 16:02:27

thanks will check it out

LIZS Tue 22-Jan-13 16:07:49

Majorca ? Either buy a transfer through a package or arrange a private taxi.

Nice is lovely, and walk-around-able as well as good train links to Monaco, and Italy.

Hannykha Tue 22-Jan-13 16:31:54

wonderful thanks chaps keep em coming this is ace!

Sandra2013 Thu 24-Jan-13 17:28:10

Eurotrain is not a bad option either. Not sure whereabouts you're located in UK though.

whateveritakes Thu 24-Jan-13 18:43:00

If you want to do Barcelona then can I suggest you stay nearer the beach. Not on the other side of the road (Ronda Litoral) but closer. This one is closer to the beach and Port Vell where there is the Aquarium, small fair rides and chain restaurants. On the street next to hotel there are lots of small bars restaurants and bakeries.

Hannykha Fri 25-Jan-13 15:30:02

That hotel looks great - thanks whateverittakes, going to show all your suggestions to OH
x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now