Planes & buggy/car seat allowance for 2yr old

(9 Posts)
cheekyginger Fri 18-Jan-13 22:04:07

Have to say Easyjet have been brilliant. Here is a quote from their website

"Do I have to pay extra for my pushchair, car seat or travel cot?
For every infant (even if on your lap) or young child you can take up to two of the following items free of charge: pushchair, baby buggy, travel cot, back carrier, car seat etc. The items you’ll need between check-in and boarding e.g. buggy can usually be taken to the boarding gate or aircraft door as appropriate but do check local airport regulations as these can differ. You can take car seats onto the aircraft if you’ve arranged this (see the previous seats section for details). If you wish to take more than 2 of these items per infant or young child, they can be purchased as hold baggage."

janek Tue 15-Jan-13 13:10:32

We used to use a thermarest instead of the mattress that came with the travel cot as they are designed to be small and lightweight and they fitted better in a rucksack. Also, we already owned one.

We also have three of these and it is quite astonishing the amount you can carry in them without breaking the carry-on rules. They are not the most comfortable to carry, but they're okay. And they are much cheaper than having to check in some luggage.

Last year we managed to transport all we needed for christmas in donegal, including christmas presents for two dds and the ILs in three of these. And transport the masses of stuff the dds received home. Very good!

cheeseandcrackers Mon 14-Jan-13 20:26:20

Thanks. Not booked yet but probably Ryanair or Aer Lingus, depending on how much extra I will have to pay if I need to check in car seat etc as hold luggage. I know Ds gets 10kgs hand luggage but his car seat will be too big for the cabin. I'll look at that travel cot though, thanks for the recommendation.

janek Mon 14-Jan-13 19:08:19

It is a fairly commonly-held misconception that children have no luggage allowance, infants have no luggage allowance, but once they pay for a seat they can have their ten kilos like anyone else. Fact.

its £20 extra with ryanair to add additional infant equipment after the free buggy. i think you do still get this with a 2 year old. i didnt think ryanair did a luggage allowance for kids though? hope they do as will probably use them again in sept.

janek Mon 14-Jan-13 18:24:06

Oh, but i always recommend one of these travel cots which would fit in your checked baggage if you split the individual componants.

janek Mon 14-Jan-13 18:22:17

I'm sure i've taken dd2's pushchair on ryanair when she was already two, so had to have her own seat and also had her own luggage allowance.

But i'm also fairly certain, on ryanair at least, that you're only entitled to one piece of infant equipment so pushchair or carseat or travelcot.

which airline is it?

cheeseandcrackers Mon 14-Jan-13 15:16:08

I've flown a few times with my DS classed as an infant and had no trouble taking car seats, buggies etc. with me as there is usually and allowance for 'infant' equipment. However, I'm about to book a (low cost, short haul) flight for just after his second birthday and there doesn't seem to be any allowance for car seats and buggies as he just gets the same as any adult (approx 10kgs hand luggage depending on airline). I am really going to need a car seat and a buggy while I'm away, and preferably a travel cot too. Any advice on how to take these would be greatly appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now