Is Paphos, Cyprus really, really bad for a family holiday ?

(60 Posts)
AnyFucker Mon 07-Jan-13 01:27:42

Is it full of spewing teenagers and discarded condoms ?

Or ok for a family holiday with a couple of teenagers ? Be honest please, nothing is booked...

mrsfassbender Sun 13-Jan-13 19:20:51

oooh am i too late for this thread AF? Have you booked? Just wanted to say that Fig Tree Bay is lovely, and where the Cypriots go.
I like Paphos and don't think of it as a boozy kids resort at all, that's definitely Napa.
We are hoping to get out there for 1st time in almost 4 years this summer and will either be Paphos or Limassol.

PS Columbia Beach Resort at Pissouri is amazing but vay pricey.

MikeLitoris Mon 07-Jan-13 19:06:58

It is a lovely walk around the beach.

We love it there tbh. Obviously it isnt the maldives but its clean, the people are friendly and the water is beautiful.

I would definitely be going again this year if the budget would stretch.

amillionyears Mon 07-Jan-13 19:05:17

AF! awful.

AnyFucker Mon 07-Jan-13 19:03:46

Pernera beach connected to Protaras beach, sorry (and possibly round to Fig Tree bay, towards Ayia Napa)

Have no wish to go to Ayia Napa, but wouldn't mind a nosy.

AnyFucker Mon 07-Jan-13 19:02:28

Papantonia nearer to Pernera, according to the bumpf....connected by a pedestrianised boardwalk thingy (I like them)

MikeLitoris Mon 07-Jan-13 19:00:41

Iirc the papantonia is not very close to main part of protaras.

I have stayed in tsokkos beach and Vangelis.

Both decent if basic holiday bases.

Vangelis was an appt and tsokkos beach was a hotel.

We went self catering in vangelis but the food looked ok.

AnyFucker Mon 07-Jan-13 18:55:06

AMY, I am talking about men in their twenties and thirties ! (when dd was 14)

yes, really

AnyFucker Mon 07-Jan-13 18:53:56

Have forgotten, ER, I have looked at that many < head spin >

Am currently wavering over Papantonia Hotel Apts in Protaras, however. Cheap and cheerful. Reviews not too awful.

Can't make my mind up though, am also considering Menorca and Playa Blanca, Lanzarote.

JustplainoldBuggerlugs Mon 07-Jan-13 18:38:58

I went to Paphos last May with my DH. Stayed at a First Choice all inclusive hotel called Louis Phatheleon (or similar)

I'd happily go again, it was lovely. No yobs, no idiots, no hen parties etc.

amillionyears Mon 07-Jan-13 18:37:27

It took us a few days to notice!
The boys were about 14 or 15 years old.
I thought they must of had a chalet near ours!

EnjoyResponsibly Mon 07-Jan-13 18:36:28

Which appt resort in Paphos were you considering AF?

AnyFucker Mon 07-Jan-13 18:29:55

The language of sleazy bastards is international smile

amillionyears Mon 07-Jan-13 18:22:11

It was limited to oggling where we were.
Hanging around outside our chalet, or watching her at the pool.
There was a great big language barrier!

AnyFucker Mon 07-Jan-13 18:11:27

The budget won't stretch to 5 * sad

AnyFucker Mon 07-Jan-13 18:10:34

Oggling is fine (to a point)

Full on sexual harassment, not so much. And it carried on for months after the holiday as she very naively made FB friends with a few of them. I won't tell you what kinds of conversations, pictures and requests were made of her, probably from men with families back "home" while they worked in the resorts.

amillionyears Mon 07-Jan-13 17:50:14

We also went to a holiday park in Corsica, that had soem sprts activities attached to it.

They did speak more French and less English than we expected.
But the part where we went, and I think the whole island ,is safe. A place where they do not lock their doors.
Your DD may have to be a bit prepared to have French boys oggling her there though.

XBenedict Mon 07-Jan-13 17:48:26

I lived in Cyprus for 3 years (back in the UK for 3 years now). If I was to go back I would stay in Pissouri (just south of Paphos) and stay in the Columbia Beach Resort or Hotel - they are next to each other.

HousewifeFromHeaven Mon 07-Jan-13 17:48:12

Oh and I've been to paphos too, we stayed at Athena beach I think...it was nice but turkey trumps it because it's a shorter flight grin

HousewifeFromHeaven Mon 07-Jan-13 17:46:37

Lara beach in turkey is great. A strip of 5 star hotel complexes along a lovely beach. We have stayed at the lara beach hotel, and the concord hotel. I fancy the delphin palace this year, or is it the imperial? Hmm, well no matter they're all excellent.

The beach in Protaras is too small for the number of visitors IMO. If it was empty it would be ok.
Beaches nearer the dreaded Ayia Napa are better, esp Nissi beach.
We are actually going there in July, very close to the water park. It is a very good water park, though not as good as Siam park according to DS.

We will be a few miles out of Ayia Napa but I plan to take the DSs there one night to show them the dark side. Actually it could not be worse than Blackpool where I made the mistake of visiting last year.
Cyprus will be HOT in July and August which suits me fine.

BlingBubbles Mon 07-Jan-13 17:22:25

We went to paphos in the summer with my then 1yr old Dd, we loved it! It is super hot so most days we just spent it jn the pool, the water park is loads of fun and dd loved it. There are some lovely restaurants along the harbour front. We hired a car and drove around the island, it was lovely. DH had been to Ayai napa in his single days and said paphos was nothing like that, I think it's definitely aimed at the family market.

MikeLitoris Mon 07-Jan-13 17:21:12

The beach in protaras is lovely.

I have loads of pics.

It will be busy and very hot in july.

The resort isnt the classiest of places but if you want somewhere chilled but lively enough for teens I dont think you can go far wrong.

Water park nearby too.

AnyFucker Mon 07-Jan-13 17:19:04

I need to stop asking for opinions really, like arseholes everyone has one (but keep 'em coming...)

chipsandpeas Mon 07-Jan-13 17:17:37

protaras is much better than paphos imo, the beaches are lovely and plenty of watersport stuff to do, boat trips as well
plenty of bars and resturants as well from memory the chinese and the indian on the main strip done lovely meals

AnyFucker Mon 07-Jan-13 17:17:35

I like weather

not hiding away from it in aircon buildings

I am always fucking freezing in air con'd hotels....I end up needing my duffle coast when it's gorgeous outside

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now