Legoland Denmark advice please (and any other Denmark tips!)

(12 Posts)
runnervt Sun 06-Jan-13 21:15:33

Hi
Just at the start of planning a camping trip in Denmark this summer with 3dc (7,4, 1). From what I can tell the Danish school holidays appear to be pretty much the same as ours (Scotland). Is the Legoland there really busy and stressful during the holiday time? It's the kind of thing I'd avoid doing during school holidays here but (possibly naively!) hope that it's better in Denmark!

I'd be really grateful for any other Denmark tips. We're currently thinking of camping on the west coast somewhere (taking the ferry to Esbjerg), then going to Legoland and then somewhere closer to Copenhagen.

Thanks

DieWilde13 Sun 06-Jan-13 21:23:45

We went there 2 years ago, on the way back from a holiday in Sweden.
Fortunately we went when the Danish and German school holidays were over, it was blissfully empty unhelpful. It was fab, food was crazy expensive, take snacks!

We went to the Esbjerg ferry with plenty of time to spare. Waiting in the queue was really boring, and there is absolutely nothing to do there.
Food on the ferry was very expensive as well, but nice.

runnervt Sun 06-Jan-13 21:38:34

DieWilde13 Thanks for your tips. I looked at the German holidays but they seem to vary wildly between regions and I'm not sure which ones are closest to Denmark.

Forgot to say that we're looking at going at the start of July.

CaptainNancy Mon 07-Jan-13 00:27:12

There was another thread on this subject just a couple of days ago (in Unanswered Messages)- have you done an advanced search, it may come up?

gardeningsarah Mon 07-Jan-13 12:23:09

We went last year, but the Danish children had just gone back to school (August 13-14) the swedish children went back the following week, so it was quieter. The longest we had to queue was 25 mins. My 2 DCs really enjoyed it (so did we) they are 11 & 9. There are height restrictions on some of the rides and they appear quite strict on checking childrens height. The driving school was good fun, which your eldest would enjoy and provided great entertainment for parents as well. But you have to book and pay separately for, we got there at opening and managed to get a slot on the first lesson of the day. The food and drink was expensive but that is denmark in general.

We then spent a couple of days near Silkeborg about 1 hr away, its near there "lake district" where you can hire canoes or take boat trips we visited a place called Aqua which is an aquarium plus there is a great outdoor play area involving lots of water!

runnervt Mon 07-Jan-13 12:57:11

Thanks for the replies. Will add Silkeborg to places to investigate.

I think the driving school would be a big hit!

LeeCoakley Mon 07-Jan-13 12:59:50

If you are interested in 'bog bodies', Tollund Man is in Silkeborg Museum. Fascinating

runnervt Mon 07-Jan-13 20:59:51

I found the other thread which is very helpful ( here in case anyone wants it).

Bog man sounds interesting, thanks.

Still waiting for someone to reassure me that Legoland in the Danish holidays won't be awful....

runnervt Tue 08-Jan-13 12:12:40

Bump

EldonAve Tue 08-Jan-13 13:42:33

We went last year in August
Swedes were back in school but the Danes were still off
It was busy but not too hectic
We bought a multi day pass which was reasonable value
We stayed at Lalandia and also visited their waterpark - you can buy day tickets for it

Check for ferry discounts - we got 10% off DFDS with a NUS card but a YHA works too I think
Prebooking food on the ferry is cheaper and otherwise you may only get a late seating slot.

runnervt Tue 08-Jan-13 16:44:41

EldonAve Thanks. Sounds like Legoland might be doable then. Maybe we'll risk it for a day.

Thanks for the tip on ferry discounts. I have found that there is also a 10% discount with the AA so we'll try and book through them. And will probably book a breakfast at least on board.

rhinobaby Sun 13-Jan-13 16:54:47

Hi there, I started the other thread in camping, we have booked our ferry and leave early August. The info given on my thread is great, the campsite near Copenhagen especially. We plan to go up to ebeltoft, then prob down to Copenhagen and back across for a few nights near legoland before getting ferry back. there are some campsites north and south of veije fjord that would be within striking distance of legoland, as I dont fancy the one near the airport. Hopefully someone who has been will post with more information! But if not make sure you come back to these threads when you've been to pass on any tips!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now