Good holidays for lone parents? Where have you been that would be ideal for an adult alone with their dc?

(14 Posts)
CarriedAwayAnnie Sun 06-Jan-13 19:41:14

h left last summer. I have decided to go away this year with the dc (2 and 5) by myself.

Camp bestival is already booked - just need to buy a tent!

Where else is great for a lone parent?

PlaySchool Sun 06-Jan-13 19:45:40

Marking my place. Since I became a lone parent, I have taken the kids camping as I haven't been able to afford anything else. However, it is always VERY hard work and I come back exhausted.

I'm thinking of taking them to a cottage next time so that at least I can sit in a separate room once they have gone to bed.

JakeBullet Sun 06-Jan-13 19:46:51

I am going to mark a place too. I have a feeling someone here once linked to a good site for Lone parents so am hoping the link might get posted again. I did have it saved on the laptop but that is no longer working.

PlaySchool Sun 06-Jan-13 19:46:56

Oh, I took them to a campsite in Spain too. That nearly killed me.

MirandaWest Sun 06-Jan-13 19:47:12

I've taken the DC to Northumberland the last two years (were planning to go agin thus summer). We stay in a cottage and have a great time smile

CarriedAwayAnnie Sun 06-Jan-13 20:05:18

<< passes Playschool some much needed wine

CarriedAwayAnnie Sun 06-Jan-13 20:06:52

How old are your children Miranda?

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Sun 06-Jan-13 20:11:52

I think if you can afford it then a cottage is perfect as it is a home from home and you don't have to worry about disturbing other guests with early starts (or being disturbed by the late comings and goings of other guests).

I have been on family holidays to Looe in Cornwall (am a single parent but went with my parents IYSWIM), the beach there is great for little one's and if you everything is walking distance - seaside shops, cafe's,restaurants and there are some walks along the coast line (not for young children though perhaps) also boat trips either on the river or out to sea.

I said on the Sun Holiday's thread that I went to Presthaven Sands and stayed in a static caravan (I wouldn't pay full price to go back there btw, but for the Sun Hoiday price it was worth it). I used it as a base and we did sightseeing all over North Wales - DD was 3 yo and absolutely loved taking the train up Snowdon (although gave me a heart attack when she ran off toward a cliff!)

Single With Kids was a website that I lurked on for a while, but it was a bit quiet. They organised trips away with other lone parent families to keep costs down and get LP's a bit of a social life. Always looked like fun but I was never brave enough.

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Sun 06-Jan-13 20:13:45

ah, found it Single With Kids

I can't recommend it as I haven't used it for a holiday, but I liked the idea of it - may be worth a look?

MirandaWest Sun 06-Jan-13 20:19:36

My DC are 7 and 9 - they were 5 and 7 when we first went away.

I would personally not like Single with Kids but that says more about the DC and me than it smile

CarriedAwayAnnie Sun 06-Jan-13 20:22:55

I like the idea of single with kids. I think having an adult to chat to in the evenings sometimes would be nice.

Would be good to hear from people that have done it.

suburbophobe Sun 06-Jan-13 20:24:25

Last thing I would want as a LP is to go away and have even more work!! And I'm definately not doing any cooking on holiday! (I'd rather stay at home then).

I never thought I would go for it but have done a few last-minute All-Inclusives.

Brilliant. As a single mum the best thing is you have to do sweet F* all and it's all laid on.

Everything is catered for, the kids have a ball, meet other kids to play with and are fed and watered...

Me? I can lie by the pool/on the beach with a book and a cocktail.
grin

CarriedAwayAnnie Sun 06-Jan-13 21:00:54

I don't mind do the cooking.

It's the clearing up of all the toys etc that would make me feel like I wasn't on holiday!

CarriedAwayAnnie Mon 07-Jan-13 09:53:44

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now