WWYD - long drive and one flight, or change in Schipol?

(10 Posts)
tribpot Sun 06-Jan-13 20:04:45

The iris scan is good for a larf, though.

hermioneweasley Sun 06-Jan-13 20:01:33

I would do 2 flights - when you step off, you're nearly home!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who disagrees with KLM that it's possible to transfer for international flights in a hour at Schipol. The passport queues are horrendous and soooooo slow!

tribpot Sun 06-Jan-13 20:00:41

God, no. Better to have to pedal a pedalo all the way to your final destination than go through CDG wink

nextphase Sun 06-Jan-13 19:57:52

Nope, its a 3 hrs stay in Schipol going out, and 3-6 hrs coming back - there aren't great connections! so the times are going to be about comparable.

Its really expensive to go via London, and even more restricted on connections! Its generally Schipol or Charles de Gaulle for us. And were NOT going via CdG.

Interesting that your all advocating 2 flights, rather than just getting the airport bit done and dusted. Thank-you.

tribpot Sun 06-Jan-13 19:38:52

I would be surprised if going via Schiphol added 6 hours on to your journey smile

Bunbaker makes a good point about the long drive home (and after that length of flight, I wouldn't really want to break the journey overnight and then do the long drive home).

Bunbaker Sun 06-Jan-13 19:34:10

Is there not an option to fly to Heathrow from your local airport? I wouldn't fancy a 6 hour drive after a 14 hour flight when coming home. OH and I drove back to Leeds once after a 12 hour flight from LA. We were so jet lagged that we had to swap drivers at every service station on the M1.

NannyR Sun 06-Jan-13 19:27:26

If you take the Schipol option I would make sure you have a generous amount of time between flights. In my experience, klm will schedule 1hr between connecting flights which I find impossible (when you take into account security and passport checks) as an adult able to run between gates; I wouldn't fancy doing it with toddlers in tow!

nextphase Sun 06-Jan-13 19:23:23

Yes, we both know Schipol too well, unfortunately. More its adding another few hours to the journey. Parking would be free at PIL from Heathrow!

Not to fussed re bags - wouldn't go for a fast change. Been there, done that. Not attempting with kids!

tribpot Sun 06-Jan-13 19:13:05

I would definitely go for the Schiphol option. Your checkin will be loads faster from a regional airport, your parking cheaper. Obviously there's a slightly higher risk of the bags going astray en route but frankly the only times that have happened to me have nearly all involved direct flights out of London!

Schiphol is a doddle to get around, although it could be a bit of a hike to get from one part to another - no worse than hoofing it round Heathrow though!

Plus you can have some stroopwafel on the way. It is win-win.

nextphase Sun 06-Jan-13 19:07:42

So, we ARE going on a 14 hr flight with a 3 yr old, and a 1yr old.
Last time (pregnant, with an 18mth old), we did the 6 hr drive to London, and then a direct flight. The alternative is a local flight to Schipol, and then onwards.

Any experience of either suggestion? Pros and cons? I'm torn (driving to London would involve staying with the PIL for a night or 2 each way... which I think is contributing to my unease!)

Cheers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now