Travelling abroad with a baby for the first time

(14 Posts)
PRBunny Sat 05-Jan-13 18:57:07

Hi,

This is the first time I've posted, so please bear with me... this is a general plea for any and all advice for travelling with a baby!

I'm going to New York at the end of May for a wedding. My DS will be 10 mths old by then.

Can anyone help with general flying / other advice? I am thinking along the lines of an apart-hotel - somewhere to stay with a kitchenette rather than hotel. Would this be a good idea?

Does anyone know if there are any airside shops in either Newark or JFK as I'm not sure what baby food (if any) that we can take through to the plane on the journey back from the US.

Also, the pushchair we have is a Silver Cross Surf. Can I take this with me or should I look out for a different stroller that folds up in one?

I am sure that I am making a mountain out of a molehill, but all advice much appreciated!

Thank you in anticipation!

Apart hotel would be good yes.

Flight, you need nappies - more than you think, just in case. Changes of clothes and any food ds needs. Don't rely on the airline for ds.

D you need to sterilise? Get the sterilising bags on eBay or take a butty box with Molton tablets.

Personally I would by a cheap stroller and take they with you. Also take a sling.

PRBunny Mon 07-Jan-13 20:09:19

gregssausageroll - Thank you for your advice - I am guessing I will need to sterilise - DS is currently 5mths and we're about to start weaning. But equally he will still be having milk feeds after weaning?

We've been checking out apart-hotels and I am keen to go down that route.

DH was also keen to get a flight that landed early / late afternoon so we could eat and then sleep as close to our normal routine as possible so we could get over the jet lag quickly.

My DS is already massive (22lb at the last weigh-in) so not sure a sling would be a good idea? I'd like to say now that DH is 6ft 5 in, with two brothers taller than him...

What about American baby food - is it palatable?

I am sorry to have missed your post yesterday, have been caught up in faaaamily things (best EastEnders accent!)

MumOfTheMoos Mon 07-Jan-13 20:15:21

I would get a foldable stroller; we've got the silver cross surf as well (which I loooooove) but it's two heavy and bulky when dismantled to bother with on a plane.

PRBunny Tue 08-Jan-13 10:49:06

MumOfTheMoos -

Thank you too. I love my Silver Cross too and can see where you're coming from. I would be very upset if something happened to it in transit, not least because my parents bought it for me before Bunny Jr arrived.

In terms of foldable stroller, are there any you would recommend? I really can't afford to break the budget so if there's any brands / makes that are worthwhile, it's off to eBay for me!

I got a stroller brand new from freecycle with the intention of throwing it out at the end of our holiday rather than than buy one to keep iyswim. Check the shops at the airport on your way out but if you buy nappies after you've been through customs they won't count in your baggage allowance. Theres often a Boots in the departure lounge.

You'll have no problem finding baby food and I would take sterilising tablets to make like easier.

MumOfTheMoos Tue 08-Jan-13 18:29:49

I saw John Lewis had a travel buggy for £35 when I was rushing to the parents room the other day.

PRBunny Tue 08-Jan-13 22:28:28

EnglishGirlApproximately and MumOfTheMoos

Thank you both so much for the advice re the strollers, nappies and everything else. I am looking on Freecycle at the moment in my area (and have just joined a group) and I will definitely check out John Lewis too.

I'm just a bit scared - my maternity pay runs out soon and it's my BIL that's getting married in New York. DH understandably is very keen to go. I realise we're going to need extra / different stuff for DS but if I can keep the spending here to a minimum, I might be able to at least buy something in Macy's!

Lamby80 Tue 08-Jan-13 22:40:29

Hiya.
We flew with our son at 4.5 months. My top tips:
- Take sterilising tablets AND milton tablets, just in case! The microwave broke so we had to use the tablets as back up.
- Take some cartons of formula on the plane. We had no problem taking them through security, i also took one bottle if formula and a bottle of sterile water and it was fine. I called the airport beforehand to check what was allowed.
- We have the maclaren quest. Perfect for travel and will last years. I have seen some funky lightweight ones around and they look great.
- Start getting baby on new routine as best you can beforehand, it will be easier in the long run. We changed our sons feeding routine to suit being able to feed him on the plane.
- Aparthotel would be best. If you find a nice one, let me know as i am toying
with the idea of going back there.
I hope this helps.

Lamby80 Tue 08-Jan-13 22:41:49

Hiya.
We flew with our son at 4.5 months. My top tips:
- Take sterilising tablets AND milton tablets, just in case! The microwave broke so we had to use the tablets as back up.
- Take some cartons of formula on the plane. We had no problem taking them through security, i also took one bottle if formula and a bottle of sterile water and it was fine. I called the airport beforehand to check what was allowed.
- We have the maclaren quest. Perfect for travel and will last years. I have seen some funky lightweight ones around and they look great.
- Start getting baby on new routine as best you can beforehand, it will be easier in the long run. We changed our sons feeding routine to suit being able to feed him on the plane.
- Aparthotel would be best. If you find a nice one, let me know as i am toying
with the idea of going back there.
I hope this helps.

PRBunny Wed 09-Jan-13 21:44:11

Lamby80 - thank you for the top tips; I have also asked an American friend about apart-hotel recommendations and she suggested the Affinia Dumont. It looks like it could be a possibility but I will let you know what we book. I think I also looked at the Double Tree Suites by Hilton too.

MumOfTheMoos - I looked at the travel stroller on the John Lewis website and think it's definitely something to consider. It says it has a weight limit though of 15kgs. DS was 10kgs today at the baby clinic. Do you have to be really strict about weight limits in strollers? I am sorry if that sounds like a dumb question.

EnglishGirl Approximately - there was a stroller on freecycle but it had already been taken when I emailed. I'll try another area to see if there is another one.

Muscling my way in here...flying with 14 month old twins to Portugal which is 3 hours. As they're twins, their Dad and I need to sit in separate rows with a baby each on our lap (there's only one extra oxygen mask per row, yet another twin nightmare!)

I'll obviously take milk, snacks and favourite toys, and we've bought a lightweight McClaren as they wouldn't let us take the Out and About buggy, but any other tips for keeping them occupied/calm? Anyone tried Phenegan???

Scratch the Phenergan, just found some other discussions on here and will chat to GP instead. But any other ideas? It's kind of more for their Dad because he's not as used to keeping them entertained (whole other discussion there!!!) and I will just feel dreadful if I can hear one of the girls crying...plus she won't feel so great either!

NoRoomForMeInMyBed Sun 13-Jan-13 20:55:53

Search mumsnet for threads on flying with baby, there are loads of good advice already on here!!!

You can ring boots airside at T5 and pre order formula food etc ready to collect after security. Theyre usually well stocked and Ive always bought all i need there.

Bring a sling for baby!!!!! No doubt baby will refuse to sleep in the basinette/chair and will want to be held for long periods. Having baby in a sling facing you in the seat means you can drift off without the fear of falling asleep and dropping the baby. I have travelled alot with my 3 and they have all slept on me in the sling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now