Parking near Natural History Museum?

(12 Posts)
merlin Wed 02-Jan-13 12:51:01

Or drive to somewhere like Wimbledon and then Tube it?

Any suggestions please?

tribpot Wed 02-Jan-13 12:55:34

Interesting, I'll watch this thread as we are likely to have to drive to the NHM (wheelchair user) but otherwise I wouldn't contemplate it.

I'm assuming you've looked at the Museum's 'Getting Here' page which is pretty clear there is no parking?

merlin Wed 02-Jan-13 13:03:33

Yes Tribpot I did! Not much fun for a wheelchair.

tribpot Wed 02-Jan-13 13:10:37

The last time we went we stayed at the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum, which does have some onsite parking for blue badge vehicles, but since then DH has had to get a more powerful (i.e. bigger) outdoor scooter and thus a van rather than a car sad As their parking is underground, I'm not sure what options that's going to leave us with confused

This thread from MoneySavingExpert has some interesting ideas and this maybe?

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 02-Jan-13 13:12:43
HazeltheMcWitch Wed 02-Jan-13 13:13:19

(sorry, have assumed Blue Badge...)

deedar Wed 02-Jan-13 13:21:04

There is parking on exhibition road (probably all residents only during week though), and I'd have thought some will be disabled spaces but I'm not sure. Failing that there's loads of parking in Hyde park just at the top of the hill. Frighteningly expensive of course but convenient and quite a nice walk back down to NHM (about 10 mins or so depending on speed and how close to the gates you find a space).

CarrotsAreNotTheOnlyVegetables Wed 02-Jan-13 18:31:40

Imperial College, right next to Science museum, offer public parking in their grounds at weekends (or did until quite recently, haven't been in about a year). Quite pricey though.

happyhorse Wed 02-Jan-13 19:24:30

We drove there on a Sunday and parked in a residential square a few minutes walk from the museum. It was residents parking only on other days but ok on Sunday and plenty of spaces. We had a look first on Streetview and zoomed in on the parking signs (which we also double checked after parking).

merlin Fri 04-Jan-13 22:33:33

Following on .... we're going tomorrow. Driving to Wimbledon and then Tubing it.

Another question now ...... any child friendly restaurants near the Museum for tea later? Haven't been round that way for a while so not sure what's there!

BlondeG Fri 04-Jan-13 22:35:47

There's a carluccios reasonably near. Can't quite remember where though!

Funnily enough we're going tomorrow too, live in Essex tho so tubing it in.

Worth noting happyhorse's post above, we've driven in a few times and parked for free on a Sunday.

merlin Fri 04-Jan-13 22:42:33

BlondeG- we should have a MN code and meet under the dinosaur in the Central Hall!

DS1 s back at school Mon so thought Sun would be a by of a long and tiring day- we've got a 2 hr drive to Wimbledon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now