Has anyone ever done a self drive trip to Norway?

(6 Posts)
lels99 Tue 01-Jan-13 20:57:39

In early stages of thinking about it, but no idea where to start! Any advice welcome...

Nigglenaggle Tue 01-Jan-13 21:26:03

Yes it was awesome! If cold! We did 2 weeks, took all our own food with us to cut costs (we had one fairly crappy canteen style meal that was £11 a head!!) and did about half and half rough camping compared to campsites. We didn't book anything in advance. The rough camping was fab - found some amazing places. You have to be a fair way from any towns though - one night we misjudged and ended up sleeping in the car somewhere near Bergen - not comfortable. We saw some interesting wildlife. There were 2 of us and we felt pretty safe. The campsites were nice and numerous - log cabins available so didn't have to put up the tent. It was late Spring and there was no problem getting in anywhere - but it was cold! Not a problem at the sites but if you rough camp I would take lots of warm clothing and be prepared to sleep at sunset - it was too cold to sit up later.

lels99 Tue 01-Jan-13 21:29:21

Thanks - hadnt really thought about camping but could be a good idea.

Needalifeagain Tue 01-Jan-13 21:34:19

The youth hostels are really good quality and full of older travellers and families. Good alternative to expensive hotels. Fab breakfasts available.
Nightlife can be a bit quiet, struggle to find bars etc even for a quiet drink.
Scenery is absolutely stunning, well worthwhile trip. Do allow longer when driving as ferries are necessary regularly.

CluelessMama Mon 07-Jan-13 21:59:12

Went with my parents about 15ish years ago, took car across on ferry to Bergen and drove to Voss where we stayed in self-catering accomodation on side of a lake. Think hotels and eating out can be pricey hence staying self-catering. Did a touristy day trip called Norway in a Nutshell which was good and remember enjoying a glacier museum. Amazing scenery when travelling by car, loads of mountains, tunnels, fjords and ferries.

EldonAve Tue 08-Jan-13 17:20:16

I guess start with how to get there
I don't think there are any direct ferries anymore - I think you have to go via Denmark

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now