taking a 4/5 month abroad

(10 Posts)
Pantofino Sun 09-Dec-12 12:04:11

We went to Italy when dd was about 5 months. In the evening we used to get her bathed, in her pyjamas, stick her in the pushchair and go out for a stroll, drink. Most evenings she would go to sleep and we got dinner in peace. It was lovely.

Pantofino Sun 09-Dec-12 11:12:31

I always used Evian water for making bottles as it is the sodium content that you need to worry about. Agree steriliser bags, or I took a tupperware container big enough to hold 2 bottles and sterilising tablets. You can stuff full of other things so it takes up no extra room in your case. Where are you going? Weather? Hotel vs S/C? Dd has travelled all over the place since she was 4 months old without bother.

If flying, try to feed on takeoff and landing to ease ear pressure. You can buy cartons of formula once you have gone through security at the airport. You can take the pushchair to the plane normally, but I have found you sometimes had to collect it from the baggage conveyor, so a sling, or not too much else to carry.

Layers of clothing to keep cool, warm etc Plenty of hats if it is going to be warm. Parasol for the buggy/muslin to shelter from the sun. I had some ELC Stacking cups that travelled with us for years. Take up no room and can be used for stacking, in the bath, for hairwashing, on the beach. I also had one of the pool inflatable seat/ring things so dd could bob about in the swimming pool. Take calpol sachets and rehydration powders in case of tummy bugs

Whyriskit Sun 09-Dec-12 11:00:42

I think i found stuff on here and also baby centre. The steriliser bags we used were Lindam (same people who make stair gates!). Where we were (spain) they indicated on the bottles of water that they were suitable for making up feeds.

trueblood1fan Sun 09-Dec-12 10:40:19

thanks guys - is there anywhere i can get leaflets/information about taking babies away?! :-)

StrawberryMojito Sun 09-Dec-12 10:02:27

Mineral water is bad because of the sodium content. You should be fine taking formula in your suitcase. They let you take a bottle of formula on plane also as long as you taste it in front of them at security.

StrawberryMojito Sun 09-Dec-12 10:00:18

I didnt use bottled water in the kettle or steriliser bags though. Just local tap water.

trueblood1fan Sun 09-Dec-12 10:00:17

thanks :-) am i allowed to take my brand of ff abroad if packed in my suitcase? i have read that bottled water is bad for babies because of protien. is this right?

StrawberryMojito Sun 09-Dec-12 09:59:05

Get disposable travel steriliser bags that each contain a tablet. You can buy them in Boots and they are really good. Fill with cold water put several bottles in, hang the bag off a door handle or bath tap, leave for 30 mins and your bottles are sterilised. They come in packs of 7 and will last you a week.

Take a tub of formula and check the faciilties of your accommodation. If they don't provide a kettle, yes you will need to take a travel kettle.

Whyriskit Sun 09-Dec-12 09:56:29

Did this with DS1. We were selfcatering so used bottled water in the kettle. Is the formula you are using available where you are going?

trueblood1fan Sun 09-Dec-12 09:48:26

any advice on ff please? would i have to take a travel kettle? can i use bottled water to make up feeds?

thanks in advance :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now