letter so that DP can apply for DS passport

(4 Posts)
sunnyday123 Sun 09-Dec-12 23:04:34

I suggest going as you likely have one shot at getting this sorted. I've had lots of conflicting info from the passport office regarding supplementary info. They all say different things! I think being unmarried in addition to no uk passport may complicate it and if you need it quickly, I'd turn up with everything!

bluearya Sat 08-Dec-12 21:17:22

Thanks.
He could have signed section 9 and i wouldn't have to write a letter at all.
On the phone they said it had to be the mother because we weren't married. I already have it countersigned and have no time to get a new application so i'll write a letter saying:

I Bluearya authorize DP to submit the passport application for our DS.

That should be enough?

There is no place for me to put my passport number because i'm not British.

dishwashervodkaanddietirnbru Sat 08-Dec-12 19:29:12

did you and your DP jointly register the birth of your DS and is he on the birth certificate? If so he has parental responsibility the same as you. Your DP will need to take a completed application form and supporting documents with him plus countersigned photos of your DS. There will be spaces on the form for you to put in your passport number.

This is from the passport applications website:

If you can’t go to your appointment or collect your passport, another person can do this for you (as long as you’re in the UK at the time). They must bring:

* ID, eg their own passport, driving licence, or a utility bill issued within the last 3 months

*a signed and dated letter from you naming the person and giving them permission (if the application is for a child, the person who signed section 9 of the form must sign this permission letter)

This may help too www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@travel/documents/digitalasset/dg_184487.pdf

bluearya Sat 08-Dec-12 18:23:43

We need our DS passport in a week and booked an appointment for monday.
The guy on the phone wasn't very helpful sad

He said that if DP goes without me i need to write a letter of consent (we r not married). I really don't want to go with newborn to London.

Any ideas on how i should phrase it and what information to include?
Also should i send my passport so they can check the signature??

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now