Any advice for my first holiday abroad, please?

(7 Posts)
ShhBoom Wed 28-Nov-12 14:24:47

I'm off to Barcleona next weekend for 2 nights with my best friend. I've been to DisneyLand Paris when I was 11, and that's the only time I've been abroad so I have no idea what to expect!
Soo, how much money should I take? And what can't I take on an aeroplane? What do I put in hand luggage?

Im sure i've got a million mor questions, but any general advice/tips would be great, thankyou!

Are you limited to a hand luggage? If you are going on a cheap airline, you probably will be unless you have paid (lots) extra. That will be the main factor....so think about what you will wear! It will probably be quite cold in Barcelona (check weather forecast) so dress appropriately.

ninjanurse Wed 28-Nov-12 14:43:59

I would just take hand luggage on a short city break. Have you got a very small cabin crew type case? You cant take liquids of more than a certain amount - check airport website for details. I would take more money than you think you need. 2 nights - £300??

botandhothered Wed 28-Nov-12 15:34:18

Yes, don't expect nice weather it is very wet and cold at the moment.
I think 100ml is the max liquid bottle size you can take in hand luggage. You can't take anything sharp in hand luggage.
Barcelona is great!
If you can get one of those money belts that go under your clothes, do. Lots of pickpockets!
If you are syaying in the centre ie Ramblas area, take ear plugs, as it can be very noisy until about 5am.
Have a great time!

ShhBoom Wed 28-Nov-12 20:53:55

Thanks everyone. We're flying with BA and can have hand luggage, so i think i might just try & stick with that, especially as we'll be getting to our hotel on the metro.
We're staying 5 minutes away from La Ramblas, which is great.
I'm so excited, but a bit nervous too!

ripsishere Fri 30-Nov-12 03:53:39

Take your ATM card. You should be able to use it. And get an E111 form.

homebythesea Mon 03-Dec-12 12:57:28

E111 doesnt exist any more - you need a EHIC card which is free (when you google go to the NHS website not the first few that come up which are scams which try to charge). However it takes a couple of weeks to come through. You should also have travel insurance which for a couple of days will be cheap as the EHIC does not cover all costs - in particular repatriation if you need that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now