Flying to US - avoid American carriers?

(20 Posts)
EldonAve Tue 13-Nov-12 11:01:58

Thanks, we have booked Virgin

Trills Mon 12-Nov-12 09:46:54

This was a there-and-back trip. On the way back I had a choice of flights, The AA one was the most convenient timing. DP said "if it's on the BA website and the same price it must be jut as good". It was not.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Mon 12-Nov-12 09:15:56

Oh Trills i am doing that next year....was hoping you would say it was brilliant.

Flying to Miami with BA and from Miami to Orlando with AA...oh well flight is only for an hour!

Trills Mon 12-Nov-12 09:13:29

*flew

Trills Mon 12-Nov-12 09:13:23

I felt American Airlines in 2011 on a code-share with BA. Paid BA prices, did not get BA service.

stella1w Mon 12-Nov-12 09:12:11

Eu carriers have to give more compensaton for delayed or denied boarding. I was on delta once and it lost an engine over the atlantic and we were stuck in novia scotia for 72 hours and they only offered 100 dlrs after mich complaint. United bad too. Only fly US carrier if much cheaper.

lightrain Mon 12-Nov-12 09:06:30

Was just coming on to say don't fly delta. Indeed, they are shit.

Portofino Mon 12-Nov-12 09:04:02

Delta are shit.

EldonAve Fri 09-Nov-12 20:11:49

Thanks

Agree with you re United; they are an awful airline.

JFK is a real dump of an airport, would suggest you use Newark instead if it fits in with your travel plans.

EldonAve Fri 09-Nov-12 07:28:17

Thanks, we will go to JFK or Boston

Want2bSupermum Fri 09-Nov-12 00:46:06

United bought continental which was rather unfortunate for us. The New York (Newark) UK flights are still run by Continental crew so not bad at all. The New York (JFK) flights are run by United crew and are not as good. We live close to Newark so always use that airport over JFK (which is a bloody nightmare to get to and not as well run as Newark IMO).

Continental were fab with waiving fees and getting on with things. They have been the best airline apart from KLM with DD.

EldonAve Thu 08-Nov-12 21:48:02

Thanks for your replies

We last flew United in 2009 and they were dreadful - both on US domestic & international.

Want2bSupermum Thu 08-Nov-12 21:13:13

United are pretty good but I miss the old Continental. They fly into Newark which I think is a better airport for access to Manhattan.

Travel in and around the area is awful due to the storm. If you are planning on taking public transport check that LIRR is up and running. I know the train line from Newark airport to Manhattan is running but service is reduced.

BizzeeBee Thu 08-Nov-12 20:35:52

Don't forget that an EU based carrier is obliged to meet costs for meals and accommodation if you have flight cancellations or delays whereas a non-EU carrier does not for flights not starting in the EU. Hurricane Sandy is a recent example where flights get cancelled and passengers were stranded for a few days. I just did a very quick google search and the Daily Mail wink link below has some more explanation:
www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2225752/Hurricane-Sandy-travel-update-Latest-advice-holidaymakers-New-York.html

Of course, travel insurance could (should) also cover these costs if necessary.

AA like many US based carriers also try and maximise revenue by also charging for additional checked baggage (see below)

AA's current bag fees for North America:-

One checked bag free of charge - maximum 23kgs / 50lbs
One second bag for a fee of $60 - maximum 23kgs / 50lbs if more than one checked bag is put in the hold.

Re VA I would do a cost comparison between them and BA as fares can and do vary between these two carriers.

shrimponastick Thu 08-Nov-12 18:43:55

Free wine and beer. Spirits charged for.

Service was fine, no better or worse than other carriers IMO. Not quite as smiley, but they were probably pissed off with threat of their company going under?

I would use them again if they carry on flying. It wad cheaper than BA.

EldonAve Thu 08-Nov-12 18:01:51

Did they charge for booze?
How was the service?

shrimponastick Thu 08-Nov-12 17:43:29

I flew American Airlines in late September without any problems

EldonAve Thu 08-Nov-12 17:39:52

We are off to NY soon
Usually we fly Virgin, are American carriers still to be avoided?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now