Florida - Cirque Du Soleil: Is it worth it?

(15 Posts)
Growlithe Wed 31-Oct-12 06:44:09

Hi,

Has anyone been to the Cirque Du Soleil in Downtown Disney? I must admit the circus in general bores me a bit but I've always been fascinated by the Cirque Du Soleil.

It gets rave reviews in Tripadvisor but looking at YouTubes of it I'm getting the same meh feelings that I get with any circus.

Don't want the family to miss a good experience though. Has anyone been and what was it like?

TIA

Growlithe Wed 31-Oct-12 10:08:23

Bumpy bumpy

mummymeister Wed 31-Oct-12 23:03:09

We went to florida last december with 3 DC's. they were so exhausted after a packed day out that taking them to cirque was a bit like giving a donkey strawberries so we gave it a miss. spoke to some folks staying with us who did go who said they only enjoyed it as much as the dinner shows (ho down and knights of the round table i think they are called) it is incredibly expensive and not sure if i would ever do it due to the tiredness. is this your first time at disney?

birthdaypanic Wed 31-Oct-12 23:05:44

Did it 4 years ago all loved it (all adults) haven't done it again because dgs too young 3.10.

birthdaypanic Wed 31-Oct-12 23:06:21

sorryn posted too soon it's not like a circus.

Growlithe Thu 01-Nov-12 06:35:06

This will be our first time at Disney. We've been to Paris loads of times so we are really excited for Florida.

I was thinking the DCs would be tired, and us too. grin We were going to do it on one of the days we do the waterparks though, in the hope we could make that a bit more of a lazy day. But it was shockingly expensive and this made us question what we'd get out of it.

We've started to plan and book up our restaurants but haven't yet found the dinner shows. I thought there must be some stuff like the Buffalo Bill show at Paris. We were actually thinking these may be a better alternative anyway. I'll look up those you mentioned Mummy so thanks. smile

BellaVita Thu 01-Nov-12 06:50:33

We saw Cirque Du Soleil in Vegas. It was fantastic. The Ds's also enjoyed it.

I would do it on one of your rest days.

noramum Thu 01-Nov-12 13:53:59

I saw some of their shows and enjoy them. It depends a lot why you don't like a circus. I hate clowns and the animal shows so I love CdS because you don't have that. Ok, they just a bit of clowns to cover small breaks but tolerable.

It is 95% artistic and music so you need to like both of that to enjoy it.

Ohsiena Thu 01-Nov-12 14:05:32

We've been to the one in DTD.

The kids loved it, they'd never seen anything like it before and the level of skill and the show were impressive.

I don't like circuses though. I get bored watching anyone juggle or swing around on trapeze or silks, it's impressive initially but it's quickly just a bit dull, therefore I personally didn't like the show that much.

I was impressed, I didn't hate it, but not my thing really.

We're are going to Disney again next year the kids want to do the cirque again, but I've told them there's not enough time (I'm in charge of the schedulegrin).

What we are doing again for the third time, is the Hoop De Dee Revue. I think it may be similar to Buffalo Bill but not sure as not been to Paris, but it's a wild west disney dinner show. It's a bit cheesy with the humour, but my kids have never laughed so much, ever, and we laughed so much because they were. Just a brilliant family night. It's become our last night at Disney tradition.

Growlithe Thu 01-Nov-12 23:36:01

Ohsiena You confirmed what I thought I'd feel like actually. DH had been looking at the dinner shows today on his own and when I showed him what you said he said that the Hoop De Dee was the only one he liked the look of, so we've gone with it. Really excited now, so thanks.

We've booked so many character meals on our dining plan, its embarrassing. We really really love Disney though grin

Ohsiena Fri 02-Nov-12 08:06:35

We love Disney too.

7 yrs ago DH went under sufferance 'for the kids' , and we are now planning our third trip!! It is just such a happy family holiday that it's hard to resist.

I've not been to Paris, but you will LOVE Florida.
Disney with the added benefits of sunshine, pools, waterparks and the cheery Anericans who love it and totally get into the spirit.

The dining plan is great, we thought the restuarants were generally good, always enjoyable, and some excellent for food and service. Trying the different restaurants was a great part of our holiday. (doing dining pan again 3rd time).

Which restaurants have you booked?

You will love the hoop Dee Doo I'm sure, what age are your kids? It's a show where kids and adults just find it hilarious even though it's quite silly, but like anything Disney very well done.

Which hotel a you staying in? The disney hotels are brilliant too.

Are you on The Dibb? They are true Disney experts over there and can answer any question, look at Hoop Dee Doo threads on there, most love it.

(getting excited just talking about it, but we're not going until next August!)

Growlithe Fri 02-Nov-12 16:18:17

We are going at Easter and staying at Port Orleans Riverside. We have 2 DDs, 9 and 4. The 9 yo has just worked out the characters aren't real, but I think it will be great for her to keep the magic going for her little sister, and she and DH are rollercoaster crazy so she'll love it.

We have planned on The Dibb, its fantastic. I'll be reading the boards there all winter. smile

We have booked Cinderellas Royal Table, the other princess restaurant at Epcot, Chef Mickeys, Crystal Palace, The Garden Grill - basically all the character places. We figured if we see a lot of characters this way we'll be chasing them less in the parks so more time for rides!

DD1 doesn't want a princess dress for Cinderellas as she thinks they are too babyish now. sad But I was talking to DSis today and she is good on the sewing machine, so we are thinking of making her a prom dress inspired by the colours of one of the princesses, so she'll feel grown up but still part of it. smile

Absolutely can't wait!

Ohsiena Fri 02-Nov-12 17:25:51

We haven't stayed at Port Orleans but have two friends who have and they absolutely loved it.

Character meals are a great idea to avoid queuing to meet them in the parks, that's what we've always done. We have done Chef Mickeys, princesses in Norway, Crystal Palace (x2) and Cape May. We enjoyed them all.

I don't think my DSs have ever believed they are 'real' and we always marvel at how stupidly excited we get about meeting a youth in a Tigger costume.

My DS will be 13 when we go next yearand he still wants to do character meals - a few less though, maybe just chef mickeys this time.

My DH, who is an old cynic and didn't want to go, even wore mickey ears! Everyone around you is in th spirit of it so your find yourself being swept along!

I'd take a special dress for your eldest daughter as I'm sure once she's there the need to be cool will disappear.

Nobody's cool in Disney grin.

Ohsiena Fri 02-Nov-12 17:29:45

Oh another idea: last time we were there my DSs really got into the pin trading.

They loved checking out the shops to spend their money on pins and then swapping with the CMs which was a lovely way to get chatting to them.
(not that you need an excuse with the Americans, they love to chat!)

Growlithe Fri 02-Nov-12 19:01:25

Do you know DD1? grin She loves collecting and swapping (don't they all?). She looked at the pin trading stuff when we were last at Paris but there wasn't the same encouragement to swap with the CMs. I think it will be big for her this holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now