6 hour flight with manic toddler - any advice pls?!

(11 Posts)
Devonlover Fri 26-Oct-12 14:58:28

Hi there

My DH and I are flying to Egypt at Christmas with Easyjet, taking our 20 month old DS. When we booked, we kind of rejoiced in the fact that DS would fly for free, thinking (or not thinking, really) that it would be fine.

Now, however, the full horror of what this actually means is starting to dawn on us ie: he'll be on our laps (or wriggling to get down) for 6 whole hours....
sad

The flight is now full so we can't buy him his own seat plus the prices were already really high, so I wondered if anybody had any advice or tips for a very strong, lively young toddler, to keep him happy and entertained? We don't really do much tv at home but I was wondering about getting a mini dvd player or similar to kill some of the time?

Any ideas much appreciated.

Thanks

DrSeuss Fri 26-Oct-12 18:43:11

A friend uses Piriton. Not saying that's good or the right thing to do. But she does.

Yes DVD player or maybe a tablet might be even better if you can afford it as you could have basic drawing apps and tv shows, movies etc also usually better battery life. Otherwise grin and bear it 6 hours not too long -try 24 hours with 2 under 3 on your own that is hell, grin.

caramellokoalalover Fri 02-Nov-12 21:57:29

icapturethecastle - you're scaring me! I'm 2 weeks away from doing the 24hr flight to Oz with my two DC (4 & 18mths), on my own. Any tips you can give me other than to grin and bear it?

allagory Fri 02-Nov-12 22:07:27

Make sure you agree very clear shifts with OH before you go: 60 mins, 60 mins off, doesn't count if he's asleep! It is easier if you know that your complete focus for 60 mins is entertaining DS, not half reading a book/watching the movie.

It can't be too bad as I am planning another trip next year. I think the iPad will be great for the trip as it is so versatile. I also bought kids head phones as the plane ones never fit. Lots and lots of snacks. I wouldn't bother with toys as they just end up on the floor but maybe that is my 2. Just remember in the scheme of things it is not that long, you won't see the person sitting next to you again (hopefully) and it is lovely to see family or be on holiday so definitely worth it! Extra nappies I always think I have packed enough but always run out!

Shakey1500 Fri 02-Nov-12 23:18:15

I second clear ideas of shifts with a partner <bitter memory emoticon>

Lots of small new toys, hidden from view and brought out when interest wanes in previous one, music, DVD player etc. Snacks. Wipes. Crayons.

soundevenfruity Fri 02-Nov-12 23:43:20

We saved a fortune by having our toddler fly on my lap twice for more than 20 hours each way. It wasn't fun the first time round just because I had quite high expectations. The second time was much better because I was more relaxed and thought that whatever happens it WILL end. You definitely need more nappies and more spare clothes than you think you need (and then take some more). Try to book a child's meal with your free seat. DH managed to do that and it was a god send. And keep a clean outfit in your luggage to change on landing. It makes a huge difference to emerge at your destination reasonably pulled together.

OP I fly to Egypt at the end of November with an incredibly active 18mo with no seat of her own, no in flight meals or in flight entertainment (thanks a bunch Thompson!) What possessed us to think this was a good idea?!

Marking my place for tips to steal...

steppemum Sat 03-Nov-12 00:01:05

we did a lot of flying with toddlers.
IME they never sleep at nap times, so just accept they won't. Any sleep is a bonus
take a packed lunch and snacks. Keep your watch on Uk time and feed at the times you would at home, so their body clock is the same as regards to food. This keeps their stomach happy (and you won't get a meal for them and it they won't eat it and it will be at the wrong time.)

Take a couple of familiar toys and a couple of new ones. But they will be more interested in the plane than toys remember that all toys will fall on the floor, and be hard to retreive

board last, as late as possible, have interesting snack ready to distract when they have to have seatbelt on as IME they hate that bit.

Try and get seats by the bulk head, as they can play at your feet, there is no space in a normal row of seats

When they aren't serving the food trolley, quietly walk the length of the plane and back. As long as you do it quietly and not when the lights are off, people don't mind.

we have had good flights and hellish ones. At least you know it is has an end!

steppemum Sat 03-Nov-12 00:04:08

oh yes wipes and more wipes and loads of clothes.

take turns with your meals and drinks, assume at least one drink will go all over you as well as dc. If it is night flight, it may be quite cold

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now