How do I help 1yo get over jet lag?

(4 Posts)
TheToadLessTravelled Tue 09-Oct-12 05:16:17

Help! Just returned from a long haul trip.

On the way over ds went into the new time zone routine immediately and was an absolute gem. We arrived in the morning and the 12 hr difference didn't seem to impact at all.

Yesterday we were so tired after a horrendous 27 hour journey home that we all went to bed straight away at 11am and slept till 10pm so of course now 1yo ds is wide awake after briefly sleeping 1-3am.

How do I help him get back into the right time zone?

lljkk Tue 09-Oct-12 05:26:25

time, sorry, nothing else works ime. Give him a week, try to get him into bright daylight as much as possible in daytime & in darkness when he's supposed to be asleep. We get it bad both ways every time, count yourself lucky!!

HollyMadison Tue 09-Oct-12 05:43:26

Very dark bedroom at night. Lots of running round outside in the day. You don't say how many daytime naps he would usually be having but I'd suggest you don't let these go over 2 hours (in one nap). It'll take a few days. Schoolboy error of going to bed at 11am but I know how tempting it is!!

TheToadLessTravelled Tue 09-Oct-12 07:10:31

Yep it was a total schoolboy error to sleep so long. Thought it would be a quick nap but the whole family just kept sleeping!

He has been erratic with naps recently but usually has 2-3 a day, some in pram some in bed depending on what we are up to.

Will try to get him to nap at the usual times today and keep it to the two hours you suggest. Fingers crossed he will be back to normal soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now