Help me plan my Scotland trip, need an online map we can 'draw' on.

(13 Posts)
Mum2Fergus Sat 06-Oct-12 18:26:57

Smidge is an amazing product to keep the midgies at bay smile

LoganMum Thu 04-Oct-12 20:20:20

www.secret-scotland.com is a very good website that I would suggest for planning your trip. You can tell them what places you are interested in visiting, things you'd like to experience and they can plan the best itinerary for you schedule.

I remember the midges! grin

We are planning on going from Mull in a sort of northeasterly direction towards Elgin.

Machadaynu Wed 03-Oct-12 22:37:12

re: midges - Avon Skinsosoft moisturiser really works - it makes your skin too slippery for them to bite.

Machadaynu Wed 03-Oct-12 22:36:26

oopslateagain go to google.co.uk/maps

click 'Get Directions'

Enter where you want to go - use the 'add destination' option to add them all

Click the blue 'Get Directions' button to plot a route

You can then click and move the destinations listed on the left to re-order them

upinthehills Wed 03-Oct-12 22:20:17

Map wise you want Mapmyride.com - does what you want

Would recommend the islands if possible - it really is like another world exp the Western Isles. Depends what you are after. Calmac website for ferries. Can do a tip from Lewis to Barra which is stunning.

A nice trip is to go Oban - Mull - Kilchoan (Ardnamurchan) drive up to Morar to Mallaig. Across to Skye and back via the bridge and Loch Ness!

Do not underestimate the horror that is the midge though - islands with wind better than mainland!

Machadaynu Wed 03-Oct-12 22:18:16

I never had that on my Mac tribpot - sounds very weird! Are you just using google.co.uk/maps ?

Downloading Skitch now... fingers crossed! smile

I went on google maps and couldnt see route planner - just 'directions' and 'my places'.

tribpot Wed 03-Oct-12 22:15:15

Yup, Google maps is what you want. Which bit were you struggling to figure out? The one pain in the arse with routing (at least on a Mac) is it can be quite difficult to get it to stop rather than just endlessly creating tiny steps of a single pixel right at the end of the route.

Machadaynu Wed 03-Oct-12 22:04:28

If you're going proper north there really aren't that many roads so you won't have much choice!

Just use google maps route planner, you can put dozens of points in and drag them about to change the order.

twooter Wed 03-Oct-12 22:03:26

Skitch not sketch.

twooter Wed 03-Oct-12 22:03:09

If you get the App sketch, there is a map bit, and you can draw on it.

Next year we're planning on going to Scotland for 2 weeks - my parents plus the three of us (DD is 14).

We have a list of places we'd like to visit (can do a list if anyone's interested!), but what I'd really like to do is find an online map that I can put a 'dot' on the places we want to go, and then draw a route that takes in as many as possible. I was going to buy a map and do it with pens and stickers (which I'll still do to take with us) but an online one would be so much easier to alter as we are deciding which route to take and what to see.

I tried Google Maps but couldn't figure out how to make it work for a route blush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now