Travelling to Cornwall on Fridays

(12 Posts)
Notintrepidtraveller Wed 26-Sep-12 20:48:54

Advice please local people.

Is it madness to travel into Cornwall ( Padstow -ish) on a Friday? Now, not peak season.
For various reasons ( health related) I want the journey to be as short as possible. We'd be travelling mid afternoon-ish hoping to arrve by about 3-4pm.

Is this silly or is it best to do a Saturday?

blackteaplease Wed 26-Sep-12 20:52:28

Given that the schools have gone back and you are travelling during the day I'd think a Friday would be better than a Saturday.

Notintrepidtraveller Wed 26-Sep-12 20:58:23

Thanks- I can't cope with getting stuck in jams so fingers crosssed.
Any other advice most welcome.

charlieandlola Wed 26-Sep-12 21:00:53

Let your OH drive down with all the luggage, and you fly to Newquay, short taxi ride to Padstow, and you can text him picutres of you in the hotel bar while he is sitting on the M5/A30 in a traffic jam from hell.

Notintrepidtraveller Wed 26-Sep-12 22:26:03

Oh please don't say that! Is it likely to be that busy at this time of year still?

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Wed 26-Sep-12 22:32:16

You'll be fine that time of day.

Just make sure you're not hitting the Exeter 5pm rush.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Wed 26-Sep-12 22:41:54

Where are you travelling from?

It's a bit quieter now. But there is always the risk of an accident that buggers everything up. There's a bit of the A30 that isn't duelled that gets busy on Friday afternoons.

Notintrepidtraveller Thu 27-Sep-12 11:45:48

We'll be travelling M4, M5, then A30. Anticiipate leaving Bristol ( not where we are setting off from) around noon.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Thu 27-Sep-12 12:20:38

You'll be fine (barring accidents and flooding).

If you are going into Bristol itself the worst bit will be leaving the city (we use the suspension bridge, but it depends where abouts you are).

Have a lovely time smile

mummymeister Thu 27-Sep-12 14:36:04

dont go down the a30. go motorway to exeter and stay on the A38 all the way to bodmin and pick up the a30 there. it will be a lot better journey. avoid bristol at rush hour though.

Notintrepidtraveller Thu 27-Sep-12 20:33:42

Thanks everyone. I think I meant the A38 anyway confused and as you said mummy.

Bunbaker Thu 04-Oct-12 12:54:21

I find Friday afternoons one of the worst times to drive on motorways. Due shift and flexible working hours there is far more traffic on a Friday afternoon than any other day of the week. Also, a lot of people take weekend breaks and this adds to the traffic. At this time of year I would leave it until Saturday morning (early).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now