Berlin - with teenager. Recommendations?

(36 Posts)
roisin Mon 27-Aug-12 17:00:48

I'm taking ds1 (15) to Berlin for a few days in October, staying very central.
He's quite a nerdy geek; loves museums, history and science.
We both loathe shopping.
The aim is to hear and speak as much German as possible.

What are your top tips of places to go and things to do?

Thank you.

roisin Sat 03-Nov-12 09:02:11

Yes, the food was great - massive variety, good quality and not too expensive!

ZZZenAgain Fri 02-Nov-12 21:22:55

really? I am surprised at that. I thought the food was generally fine in Berlin - quite cheap, decent portions and you can get almost everything there except maybe British style fish and chips.

Maryz Fri 02-Nov-12 21:21:34

Oops, I never checked the end of the thread, sorry blush

Maryz Fri 02-Nov-12 21:20:16

I can't find my thread - I must have put it in chat, sorry.

But I know they did a fantastic walking tour, and another thing they found was this lot who apparently do some very "different" tours, including a graffiti workshop and a free daily "alternative" walking tour which is meant to be very good.

Maryz Fri 02-Nov-12 21:11:25

I had a thread on this recently. I'll see if I can find it.

My elderly parents took dd and my nephew and they had a great time (apart from the food which was, apparently, appalling).

ZZZenAgain Fri 02-Nov-12 21:09:52

The Germans know how much the fine is for travelling on the UBahn/Bus without a ticket if the undercover controllers catch you, as well as the fines for crossing the street when you have a red light and jay-walking. They also know that you can seriously TOLD OFF by fellow pedestrians for crossing at a red light and this can be quite intimidating.

roisin Fri 02-Nov-12 21:09:23

:-) Snap on currywurst! Glad you had a great time!

I want to go back soon.

slambang Fri 02-Nov-12 21:06:17

Isn't it just amazing how nobody checks your tickets on or off the U-bahn and only the tourists cross the road on the red man, while the germans wait obediently staring at an empty road? confused

slambang Fri 02-Nov-12 21:03:39

Glad you had a good time Roisin. We had an excellent time too. Highlights for us the jewish museum, the Reichstag, Eastside galley and both dss got the taste for Currywurst (but I'm glad to leave that to the berliners.)

roisin Fri 02-Nov-12 20:21:35

We had a wonderful time: thank you all.

The Reichstag is fabulous as is Panorama Punkt.
Public transport is incredibly efficient.
Ds1 loves the Computer Museum and the Ampelman shops.

roisin Tue 23-Oct-12 21:33:56

Have fun slambang. [whispers] I haven't reminded ds1 about the Pergamon museum, because I've spent too many hours of my life already in the Ashmoleon and the British Museum, and it doesn't do a lot for me!

slambang Tue 23-Oct-12 21:16:12

Snap! Going to berlin with 2 geeky teenage dss this weekend.

We sat down this evening and listed everything we want to see and when we can fit it in. Apart from the places already suggested we have on our list:
- a flea market on Sunday morning combined with the Wall memorial (Mauerpark)
- DDR museum
- Museum island (for dh) in particular the Pergamon museum and fit in a bit of the egyptian stuff (in Altes museum)

But now ds2 has heard there's a gaming museum I think Egypt might be off the list - thanks Berliner!

Ds1 also campaigning for the Ramones museum- does that still exist?

Is it true that museums are mainly closed on Mondays? It says that in our 'current' guidebook but most websites imply that museums are open every day confused

Probably see you there Roisin wink

roisin Tue 23-Oct-12 21:13:06
roisin Tue 23-Oct-12 21:11:13

Ooh, I wonder what the dessert restaurant is called? I like the sound of that! And we are staying very near to the Potzdamer Platz, so that would be great.

(Neither of us are "into" sport unfortunately, so I think we can safely give that one a miss.)

IvanaDvinkYourBlad Tue 23-Oct-12 21:07:00

If DC are into sport, can I recommend the Olympic stadium? (I think the stop is Olympia Stadion?) It's a bit of a trek but really interesting, you can do an audio tour too. And if you do go down Potzdamer Platz way, there is a 'desert restaurant', inside a shopping centre. Think ice cream sundae heaven. grin

Checkpoint Charlie museum is amazing

Boat trip with commentary is v good as well

roisin Tue 23-Oct-12 20:58:52

7.30 am I could do with ds2, but not ds1; he is not a morning person. And we already have breakfast with our accommodation anyway.

Thanks for more tips.

I hope we have great, dry weather so we can gently amble around and admire the architecture.

See this page.

NatashaBee Tue 23-Oct-12 19:59:32

Brandenburg gate at night time - absolutely stunning. We walked around loads at night and used the subway thing - felt perfectly safe.

I took both DCs to the Jewish museum, DD was 11.
The Topography of Terror, near Checkpoint Charlie was also good.
We booked a tour of the Norman Foster glass tower in the Bundestag the day before on the Internet, it was fantastic - and free!

Rooble Tue 23-Oct-12 19:57:34

Or you can go at about 7.30am then go for breakfast in a cafe? (Haven't been there for 10 years but I did that then!)

roisin Tue 23-Oct-12 19:51:59

Thanks - especially the tip about the Reichstag.

MmeLindor Tue 23-Oct-12 17:04:14

I think it is open till 10pm (but check that). We had an early dinner and went about 8pm I think.

roisin Tue 23-Oct-12 16:57:22

Thank you - especially the tip about the Reichstag in the evening - we might try that one.

MmeLindor Tue 23-Oct-12 09:28:54

I agree about the Jewish museum. Definitely worth a visit. Amazing architecture, and a fascinating glimpse into the lives of German Jews before the war. I liked that they had a lot of personal stories, as it made it less abstract.

Best tip for the Reichstag- go in the evening when the queues have died down if you haven't booked. We went at dusk and it was spectacular. As we circled the glass dome, the sun set behind the city.

It's really easy to get around on the Underground or trams - we took a 3 day ticket and hopped on and off when we wanted to save a bit of walking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now