Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

What do you do with your valuables on the beach?

(17 Posts)

After years of going to Cornwall with extended family and so someone to always watch our stuff if the 4 of us want to all go for a paddle together, we are going to Majorca this year, just me, dh and the 2 boys.

But what do we do with our valuables/purses/camera on the beach if we all want to have a splash in the sea together? Or does one person always have to mind the stuff? Seems like a stupid question I know but if anyone could tell me what they usually take to the beach so you can have fun without worrying about valuables I would be very grateful!

Gumby Fri 27-Jul-12 18:31:40

one of you stays behind

or whispers

bumbag

grin

ClaireRacing Fri 27-Jul-12 18:38:35

Some beaches have lockers.

But if not, then one of you has to stay back, you take your valuables with you, of you take your chances.

One thing you can do is just take your camera on one day and have your photo-fest then. On other days, just take non-valuables and enough cash to meet your needs.

nothingoldcanstay Fri 27-Jul-12 20:13:24

I just leave my stuff. Single parent, so no one to stay behind on beach.

I think the people round about will know if you have left stuff and on the basis that most people are honest I am prepared to trust them. The southern Europeans have a much better trust relationship with each other ie putting stuff in shopping trolleys before paying, markets rather than cctv shops etc. I reckon a dodgy sort would stand out a mile if they were "doing the beaches" and I'm sure the very vocal Italians and Spanish who always end up sitting near me would have something to say.

clam Sat 28-Jul-12 12:39:32

How valuable is valuable? Passports and documents would be left behind in hotel safe - possibly most bank/credit cards. Also, nowadays, my iphone. Don't use it abroad much anyway. Too expensive.
Would probably only take enough cash + maybe one card for the day - cash could be put in a waterproof neck thingy. Camera - cheap one for beach days that thieves wouldn't be interested in?

MarigoldsInTheWindow Sat 28-Jul-12 14:17:31

a small waterproof bag that hangs round your neck. not that ive ever seen one.

one year i should find one...

Mum2Fergus Sat 28-Jul-12 18:30:49

If its valuable Id have it in the safe...and only a few euros...if you'd miss it, dont take it...enjoy your break smile

gordonpym Sun 29-Jul-12 07:02:06

never done it myself, but seen a surfer dig a hole, put a bag inside, then beach towel over it.
When I go to the beach alone with the kids, I usually put money and card in my skirt pockets.

Miller1977 Sun 29-Jul-12 14:24:40

Get someone to stay behind. Depends on what you have thats valuable though.

Thanks for the suggestions, really helpful. I guess we'll have to leave more in our apartment than we're used to. And I'll look out for one of those waterproof wotsits for cash. Thanks.

LolaAnn Sun 29-Jul-12 15:55:15

Cut a bottle in half and stuff your valuables in there. then upturn it in the sand or bury it beside your towel so looks like rubbish. That's what I do haha.

bisjolympics Sun 29-Jul-12 16:00:47

I use a plastic Ipod pouch - one designed for taking your ipod on the beach. I wear it around my neck and have car keys, money in it. I don't take anything of value to the beach just the minimum I need.

boredandrestless Tue 31-Jul-12 14:31:34

Was hoping to find a thread on this! I am going on holiday just me and ds this year and have been wondering about this myself. I've decided to only take out a little money, sun cream, and beach towels. My phone will be locked away in hotel with passports and most of money. I'm going to an AI resort so drinks and meals won't need paying out for anyway.

I got a waterproof clear pouch I can put round my neck to put my camera in but I don't intend to take it down to the beach/pool everyday anyway. Got this from Boots if anyone else wants one.

clam Wed 01-Aug-12 09:02:17

So, have just realised, we have one day coming up on holiday when we're inbetween hotels and going to be beaching it. We'll have all our passports, tickets, credit cards etc... with us. Would it be safer to leave them locked out of sight in the car, or in a bag with us on the beach (in which case, at no point would I leave it unattended - we'd just have to swim in shifts).

forevergreek Wed 01-Aug-12 09:27:58

I would probably keep valuables with me on that one day, otherwise we go to beach with some money for ice cream/ beach and we have a waterproof camera

Nothing of value. Camera comes in sea attached to wrist. Never take phone etc

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 02-Aug-12 11:02:28

We don't take too much to the beach, just enough money for lunch and drinks and the camera.

We usually swim in sight of our stuff.

TonyG Wed 27-Aug-14 18:17:07

My husband and I used a new product we saw on the Today Show called AquaVault. I cant believe how easy it was! I can actually enjoy the beach with the kids...Mommy approved!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now