What to take on a self-catering holiday - tea bags, food etc.

(31 Posts)
tutorconfusion Sun 22-Jul-12 20:23:07

Any ideas for small, light things we might find useful.
Tea bags are on the list already.

tutorconfusion Wed 25-Jul-12 18:06:37

Claire - of course we are going to the supermarket and of course we're not taking a massive suitcase of food (we are travelling Easyjet after all...) it's more that there are some things that you have to buy in massive packs and end up using twice.

So dishwasher tabs is one - you might have to buy 24 and use 6 and they're expensive and easy to take in your bag.
Herbs, salt and pepper that kind of thing is what I was after.

ClaireBunting Wed 25-Jul-12 18:15:02

Fair enough on dishwasher tabs.

I was shocked ar Fillybusters list.

greygirl Thu 26-Jul-12 18:07:56

I think it depends where you are going - when i go skiing where i know the nearest shop will be small and over priced i take:
dishwasher tablets (1.5 per day)
scrubber thingy and washing up liquid (small bottle)
teatowel (just in case not provided)
packets of flavouring eg 'bolognaise' sachet or a curry sachet - easy to use and no questions from customs
i also take a packet of pasta and a 'beanfeast bolognaise sauce' packet - it has saved my life when a flight was delayed and we got to the flat about 8pm on a sunday night.
i also take sachets of instant hot chocolate but it may be too hot on your holidays.
a pair of scissors

i agree though the fun is in shopping in foreign places and trying new things, but only once i am there, not as i am arriving!

Fillybuster Fri 27-Jul-12 12:11:26

Clare - I'm confused, why are you shocked at my list? I pack the bare minimum to ensure that when I arrive (normally late on a Sunday evening) with 3 dcs under 6, somewhere that can be up to an hours drive from a supermarket (and often somewhere we've not been before, so navigating to said supermarket might take some time), I know I can prepare an immediate meal regardless of circumstances.

Apart from that I take sandwich bags, cling film and silver foil, because in my (extensive) experience they can frequently be very expensive compared to the UK. Did you notice that I mentioned a freezer bag and freezer blocks??

I take them because I adore food shopping in other countries, and much prefer to make all our meals myself (so we can take picnics on day trips to the beach,the mountains, the lake, wherever....), not in order to avoid doing so.

Please remove your judgey-pants this instance! <bangs gavel>

Dinah38 Tue 30-Oct-12 18:06:10

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

whizzykidd Tue 30-Oct-12 19:10:18

Agree with greygirl. Take lots. Summer and flying much harder but sking and driving pack the boot. Too busy to go shopping on holiday. Lots of other things to do.
Depends on standard of accommodation. When I drive we take lots of food and having read theholidayboxblog I will also be taking pre-cooked dinners this year. Love the thought of a lamb tagine after a day skiing. Dishwasher tablets, antiseptic wipes, scrubby things, toilet roll, tinfoil are a must. I am not shopping for these on holiday!
Had a look at theholidaybox website. What a lovely idea. Had a look at the contents. Contains lots of the things mentioned above such as corkscrew, tinopener, tea-towels and also my holiday favorite a cafetiere. Definitely worth investigating. Wonder if OH would like one for Xmas. Would make my life easier when we ski at New Year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now