Check the expiry date on EHIC cards before your holiday!

(43 Posts)
ChippyMinton Tue 14-Jun-11 10:54:48

Just dug out the family's European Health Insurance cards (replaced the old E111) for our summer trip to France, to find they expired last month. It's easy to renew online here

No-one should ever pay for a EHIC card; they are free.

There are many unscrupulous people out there who will happily scam others to offer what is a free service.

Mummy21 - I would reapply for the EHIC using the official NHS website. Sorry Mummy but you've been scammed. If you have paid by credit card I would see if you can get the payment stopped because you have been misled.

Generally speaking, these cards are no real substitute for proper travel insurance as coverage on EHIC can be limited.

Theglassishalffull Mon 09-Jul-12 19:00:10

You can ring up their alternated service if your cards don't arrive before you go. They will email a conformation to you.

GnomeDePlume Mon 09-Jul-12 21:43:29

Just as a note, even if you dont actually get the card in time, you are covered. I managed to lose one of ours and had a panic. Phoned the office and they organised a new one but also said that the cover was in place, the card is just evidence.

bronze Mon 09-Jul-12 23:13:16

It says ten days and we dont go for a couple of weeks but should be ok
The site says you don't need it with you but it makes it a lot easier when it comes to doing the paperwork. Some places you have to pay and then claim back anyway

noramum Tue 10-Jul-12 09:42:28

I just checked yesterday and our cards run out in one week and we leave in two. We obviously have a private insurance but I always keep the card with me as well.

Hopefully we will get it before we leave but asking for an email is a good tip.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Thanks for the reminder - ours are out of date too.

yogabird Sat 14-Jul-12 21:03:39

Applied on line on Monday afternoon, cards here on Friday really impressed!

Fenouille Sat 14-Jul-12 21:08:36

I think even if you have private insurance many of them require you to use the EHIC first anyway before they'll pay out on any excess.

Eve Sun 15-Jul-12 08:22:41

Renewed mine to, how long are they valid for?

Katz Sun 15-Jul-12 08:52:59

Thanks, I can't find ours but know we got them to go to France when our dd2 now 7 was a baby. They're bound to be out of date. Applied for new ones.

Katz Sun 15-Jul-12 08:53:21

Eve - 5 years

Polgara2 Sun 15-Jul-12 08:54:04

Oh yes, dh only remembered about ours a few weeks ago! Very speedy service though, was impressed. ( I clicked on a pay for them link by accident first and only realised when I had filled all the blasted details in angry they are v annoying )

LIZS Sun 15-Jul-12 09:03:35

We've mislaid dd's (used on a school trip and put aside separately). We know the number as ours were in sequence, can we order a duplicate ?

3duracellbunnies Sun 15-Jul-12 09:16:28

When we lost one we had to reapply, plus a parent needs to reapply with it. Think half of ours are due for renewal, but due to their parent has to apply too rule at least ds and I are ok!

Katz Thu 19-Jul-12 19:18:27

ours arrived today - thank you OP!

drummerswife Thu 19-Jul-12 21:52:29

i've just applied for ours as we're going away next week but it says you are covered from date of application if made online or over the phone.theres a number that you ring if you need to use it but don't have the card you need to give you nhs or national ins' number.

Willabywallaby Wed 19-Jun-13 09:50:23

Thanks for this thread, after getting caught out with US visas I didn't want to make the same mistake with this. Couldn't find right website with google!

FossilMum Wed 19-Jun-13 10:32:40

Many thanks for this; my son's is about to expire tho' ours last till 2017!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now