Lunchtime London - what to do?

(18 Posts)
JandLandG Mon 03-Dec-12 00:16:58

Hi there

Just to revive this thread, I'm lucky enough to be going out for a fairly lengthy, slightly boozy early Christmas lunch with some freelance work colleague this week

Were eating at the Skylon restuarant on the South Bank but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for somewhere slightly swanky for cocktails and general ponciness later in the afternoon and into the evening in Soho or the West End

Don't go out in London too often so would like a nice treat on a cold winter's afternoon!

All thoughts/advice very much welcomed and appreciated

Ta!

JandLandG Wed 06-Apr-11 00:31:13

will do, lilly...ta!

Lilymaid Wed 30-Mar-11 22:17:49

Have a wander round the Inns of Court - Inner and Middle Temple are between the Strand/Fleet St and the river between Waterloo and Blackfriars Bridge. If it is a nice day in summer you can sit in the gardens to eat lunch or try Hilliard in Tudor St. Temple Church is worth a visit, though an entrance fee (£3) has just been introduced.

JandLandG Wed 30-Mar-11 22:11:58

thanks so much for this, LW...sorry it's a bit tardy!

LadyWellian Fri 04-Mar-11 01:08:58

Walk over the Millennium Bridge and there's quite a nice restaurant called Northbank on the riverside. And if you're into shopping you'll then be within striking distance of One New Change. I can't vouch for the shopping centre as I've so far only seen it from down the road.

Swiddle Wed 02-Mar-11 13:31:06

Oooh, I love the South Bank. We were there at the weekend with the kids. I know the whole point for you is to do proper adult stuff, but we all enjoyed exploring the Golden Hinde (Drake's sailing ship) plus lunch at Wagamama. There's also the Clink Museum and some kind of Churchill museum too I think. For something more grown-up, we recently had work-of-art cocktails at the Skylon restaurant in the Royal Festival Hall, with fab river views.
(I work in my attic from home... not much of a view from here... sigh...)

goingmadinthecountry Tue 01-Mar-11 22:53:40

I'd give Florence N museum a miss tbh - didn't even know it was there but dd3 had heard of it so we went. Great if you're doing her at KS1 as she is though all a tad inaccurate and little mention of her fibs and racism.... (sorry, big dd doing Hist A level). £5-6 to get in too.

Lucky you - sounds like my idea of heaven!

JandLandG Sat 26-Feb-11 00:57:48

wow, thanks for all these...not checked for a while...i'll get going on these over the next few weeks. really good, thank you so much

Borough Market, across the road from London Bridge station is Thurs, fri and sat. Brindisa tapas bar in the market is fantastic but you can't book so get there early or go on a non-market day.

Spitalfields Market near Liverpool st is great, get lunch at Leon.

A wander round the City is worthwhile, fantastic architecture and sense of history around Bank of England, some great shops (mostly for dreaming...Hermes, Tiffany, Prada etc but a few more normal ones!) in Royal Exchange. You could get a bite to eat in there too, it is beautiful.

Also on the south bank is the Clink museum, Vinopolis (interesting but not so much fun if you can't taste lots of wine as you are going to work!), the Golden Hind, Dali museum (amazing) and the Aquarium. Take the Thames Clipper down the river fir fun or start with a visit to Tate Britain (near Millbank) one morning and get the spotty (Damien Hirst) Tate boat down the river to get off at Tate Modern.

onimolap Tue 08-Feb-11 21:52:13

Also, the Museum of Garden History (next to Lambeth Palace).

Find out about lunchtime concerts at St John's Smith Square (v good restaurant in the Crypt)

Somerset House is good.

How do you arrive in London? If it's Kings Cross or St Pancras, then go to the British Library.

TheAtterySquash Tue 08-Feb-11 21:51:57

Actually, try St Martins for lunch time concerts - closer than Wigmore hall for you

TheAtterySquash Tue 08-Feb-11 21:51:00

My mum loves the lunchtime concerts. Borough Market is close to you and really fun- not open every day though. The Florence Nightingale Museum at St Thomas? Never been myself...

Over the bridge gets you to Soho/Chinatown pretty quickly. Hundreds of excellent lunch places there...

onimolap Tue 08-Feb-11 21:48:16

Walk along the South Bank itself - lots of cafes, see Tower Bridge, visit HMS Glasgow.

Try the Old Operating Theatre in Guy's Hospital.

ilovedplaydays Tue 08-Feb-11 21:47:55

walk along the embankment and have fish and chips at a pub there - cannot remember the name.

Go on London eye...?

fridayschild Tue 08-Feb-11 21:38:58

you could go and watch the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace

Climb to the top of St Paul's Cathedral or the Monument (have to pay for both of those mind)

JandLandG Tue 08-Feb-11 00:46:55

Hey many thanks for this - don't know much about those areas...will check them out...had a wierd little wander round westminster the other day...fascinating streets and squares..plus some old signs for air raid shelters...i was amazed.

anything else, anyone?

Go to the Founders arms pub for lunch. Panoramic view of London and well worth it.
Do visit Clerkenwell and Farringdon, just have a wander. Go to the John Soames museum in Lincolns Inn, delightfully bonkers.
I'll go and have a fag and think about some others for you.

JandLandG Sat 29-Jan-11 02:15:55

Hi there

i sometimes go into london to start work around 3pm, and have recently been thinking that if i go in early i could be there for 11am and do things...probably on my own, but not to worry.

i work near the south bank, so my first early trip is going to be to the tate modern

any nice restaurant recommendations for lunch nearby? or even coffee shops within ten mins walk say?

so what else could i indulge in...i fancy a walk over the bridge round where parliament is...what specifically should i go and see round there?

any other thoughts/suggestions for quirky, quite quick lunchtime london ideas? anyone know about lunchtime concerts at wigmore hall for example?

curiosities/hidden gems/anything really

give me some ideas if you can....all thoughts and suggestions most appreciated

thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now