Edinburgh festival with kids

(12 Posts)
bon Thu 31-Jul-03 22:28:13

I'm going up to the Edinburgh festival next week with my 3 kids (3,4 and 5 months) as my husband is performing up there. I was wondering first of all if anyone knows what sort of things we can do with the kids during the day. Will any of the shows be suitable for younger children? Also, I would love to be able to go and watch my husband perform his show in the evening and, ideally, get a babysitter. Are there any babysitting agencies in Edinburgh, or what would be the best way to go about finding one, given I will only need one for one or two nights?

beetroot Thu 31-Jul-03 22:53:55

Message withdrawn

Maxster Sat 02-Aug-03 17:25:06

If you go to eif.co.uk (for info about the festival) 0r edfringe.com ( for info about the fringe) you can download programmes of events. Fringe Sunday is always good too. You get to see bits from all the shows that will be on and because it's on in the Meadows the children will love running about the park. There's quite often lots of things for them to do too. Sorry I don't have a clue about babysitters. Where are you coming from?

tabitha Sun 03-Aug-03 10:18:41

Hi bon,

there should be plenty of things you and your kids can do during the Festival. There are usually shows suitable for younger children - the Netherbow on the Royal Mile is one venue that shows puppet shows and does storytelling for kids but there will be others - as Maxster says just download the programme of events and see what you fancy.
As well as shows etc, there are plenty of things you can do: lots of parks where the kids can run about; museums; Botanic Gardens and plenty more. If you can buy/borrow a copy of Edinburgh for Under Fives when you're up here it'll give you plenty of ideas.
As for babysitters, I think the Sitters Agency (advertisied on Mumsnet's home page) has started in the Edinburgh area. Haven't used them so don't know what they're like though. Also have heard of an agency called Emergency Mums which you might want to try. Hope this helps and have a great time.

Janeway Sun 03-Aug-03 10:25:01

There's shows for the kids, but there's much more than the fringe - there's a great zoo (head west on Corstorphine road) and the Botanic Gardens, where all us locals take our kids for a run in the sun (just north of the centre by Stockbridge & Canonmills) both easy bus rides from the centre if you're not up to walking. There's gardens in the Centre of the town (princess street) and loads of street performers for them to watch (royal mile).

Fringe Sunday (should be 10th Aug - behind Holyrood Palace) is good and it's free and gives a good taster of most of whats going on.

Baby sitters - try Babybusters 0131 337 3421 or Home Agency 0131 624 7200 - I've not used either but they're listed in the "Edinburgh for the Under 5s" book by NCT so should be OK - insidentally the book is well worth getting as a guide (about £6 from most bookshops in Edinburgh)

Hope you enjoy Edinburgh - just be prepared for the crowds in the city centre - it's getting choka just now.

bon Sun 03-Aug-03 22:45:10

Thanks so much for your help. Fringe Sunday sounds great and the tips re the parks most welcomed - I imagine we'll need a bit of time running around as we're staying in an already well-occupied flat. My husband seems to have been able to sort out a babysitter whilst up there, which is great. Can't wait, I love Edinburgh although last time I went, i was kid-free, so I imagine it will be a rather different experience this time! Thanks again.

Candicesoh Sat 23-Apr-16 18:50:42

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

YorkieDorkie Sat 23-Apr-16 19:03:56

The fridge is fab for kids!! Plenty to do and see - all down the mile are street performances and dancing, great fun!

YorkieDorkie Sat 23-Apr-16 19:05:12

Fringe! The kids won't gain anything from the fridge.

AssembleTheMinions Sat 23-Apr-16 19:11:25

This must surely be the oldest thread ever bumped! It's 13 years old ffs. shock

YorkieDorkie Sat 23-Apr-16 20:16:40

Damnit candice.

SusanFG Thu 04-Aug-16 11:18:02

Hi guys

There is a great show on at C main on Chambers Street called 'Holmes for Rent'. Its on at 3.15 and definitely worth a watch. Really funny and some great performances from some talented students at Warwick Uni.

Really great for kids and you will be singing the songs for the rest of the day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now