toddler rainy day outings in Kent/E.Sussex

(10 Posts)
sprout Fri 25-Jul-03 10:37:04

We will be spending a week's holiday in August near Rye on the Kent/East Sussex border. I have a lot of ideas of what to do if the weather is good, but what if it isn't? DD is 3yrs 4mths and we will be staying in a B&B, so I need some inspiration if we are all to stay sane...

sprout Fri 25-Jul-03 14:42:40

Well, I've obviously chosen an exciting place to go on holiday! Can no-body help? I thought mumsnetters knew everything (collectively ). I'm willing to drive for up to an hour if desperate.

Dannie Fri 25-Jul-03 14:59:57

The Romney Hythe & Dymchurch miniature steam railway is popular with my 2 (dd 3, ds 5). At New Romney station there's a museum with a giant model railway display that we like (it's probably the oddest place i've ever breastfed) and at the Dungeness end there's the Railway Café, which is much better than the New Romney station café, and the Old Lighthouse (quite a climb but my dd managed it last month). Dungeness is a fascinating place for adults too (weird shingle spit with fishing cottages & nuclear power station, plus Derek Jarman's garden. a perfect antidote to too much candyfloss & bucket and spade seaside). Hastings has Underwater World, which is a great aquarium. If you get really desperate there's a soft play place also in Hastings called Clambers. IMO the swimming pool at Tenterden is the area's cleanest and most child-friendly.
If you get really desperate, e-mail me for my phone number and come over. I'm in Hastings Old Town. I believe you're about as pregnant as me.

Boe Fri 25-Jul-03 15:01:58

Bodiam Castle and then on Tenterton railway - get book 1001 things to do with your child - that has huge listing around there.

Bluebell Railway, Ightham House, There is some beaverwater park near Westerham - will look in book and type out things near there on Monday - am buzzing off early now!!

whellid Fri 25-Jul-03 15:06:46

Farmworld about 5 miles out of Rye has an indoor area where you can 'meet' the animals. I think it's in Beckley.
And I've never been but Buckleys Yesterday World is near Battle - should have a website.
You could always get a ferry to France to chase the sun!

Mo2 Fri 25-Jul-03 15:31:37

Is Druscillas Wildlife Park (Alfriston)anywhere near here - that has a fair bit of inside stuff too.
Brighton Pier is fun whatever the weather.

sprout Fri 25-Jul-03 15:43:01

Thanks for all the tips - I knew you wouldn't fail me!

Marina Fri 25-Jul-03 23:15:13

Dover Castle is supposed to be good - and all the railways: Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch, Kent and East Sussex, Bluebell...are excellent wet weather destinations. Bodiam is fab, even in the rain.
And, if all else fails, rather than hitting the continent again, you could head up to London on the train...

tallulah Fri 25-Jul-03 23:17:43

Hastings isn't too far from Rye & they have an underwater world (used to be Sea Life centre), Smugglers Caves & the 1066 adventure. We spent a week at Camber a couple of years ago (exciting when you only live up the road!) & had lots of days out- I'm sure there must be more. If I think of anything I'll come back to you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now