Telescope

(4 Posts)
Reallywantgherkins Sun 13-Nov-16 16:41:02

Hi,
I want to purchase a telescope for a friend as a gift, he's very much a beginner.

He's very techy and so I want something he will appreciate in that regard.

I don't want to spend over £50, but also want to get him a decent one that will last.

Can anyone offer me suggestions? I'm drowning in review sites and struggling with compound/refractor/reflector ones. It also seems all telescopes cost upwards of £300 which is well above my budget.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!!!

EmNetta Mon 14-Nov-16 17:01:13

Recently bought myself Celestron "Firstscope", something simple for beginners but not rubbishy, just under £50 and complete with two lenses. Friend's husband who is an expert told me it was a good buy and talked me out of buying more (expensive) lenses, which I'd planned.

This last year has been mainly impossible to view anything smaller than the moon (!) due to cloud cover, so am feeling pleased I've not spent more.

Should your friend prefer something more sophisticated, he could probably trade in this telescope for his choice.

Reallywantgherkins Mon 14-Nov-16 20:43:45

Thanks, I'll defo look into that, he is just a beginner so this could work

EmNetta Mon 14-Nov-16 23:56:56

Just remembered - they do an additional set of stuff to go with this telescope, particularly for beginners, I think a video, star-map and something else I've forgotten, but YouTube have details and for other makes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now