new laptop or replacing hard drive

(3 Posts)
Threeschools Sat 12-Nov-16 19:41:22

DS 13yo laptop has just died and the error message we got after following the hp help instructions indicates we need to replace the hard drive. it is a cheap-ish hp pavilion my DM bought for him last year, I think we got it for £280 or so. now my local computer repair shop wants £120 for labour + £96 for a 1TB hard drive. he uses it only for minecraft, online on a server where he meets with friends. if I buy another one and it dies again in one year's time I'll be annoyed, I am tempted to go for repair but would like to know it will last a good 2 years. any thoughts?

codewaist Wed 16-Nov-16 15:24:16

£96 for a 1TB hard drive seems to be a bit much, EBuyer has them starting at £42

£120 could be OK for 1-2 hours labor if they are going to swap the hard disk, reinstall the operating system and then copy across any data.

At £216 in total can you compare the specification to these an HP 255 G5 Laptop is £230

Swapping a laptop hard disk ranges from very easy < 10min to very hard if you have to dismantle it and remove the keyboard. If you know the model number you always look for instructions online.

Threeschools Wed 16-Nov-16 15:29:39

thanks codewaist, in the end it was still on guarantee so it is now being replace as we speak for free.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now