Audio books, please explain!

(4 Posts)
cattypussclaw Mon 07-Nov-16 10:00:02

Does anyone out there understand audio books/Audible/Kindle Whispersync? I'm going round in circles and I'm about to give up on the whole thing.

I like to walk, since I'm a bit fat and hate running, so figure walking is better than nothing. While I'm walking, I thought I'd try audio books. I have a Kindle and I have an iPhone with the Kindle app on. Assumed that all I'd need to do is buy the audio version of unread books on my Kindle and be able to listen to them through the app on my phone. But apparently I need to subscribe to something called Audible and have yet another sodding app on my phone.

I don't want to bloody subscribe to Audible, I don't want another app. That's my first quibble.

Secondly, how can it be so hard to buy an audio book? I can't buy them from my Kindle, can't buy them from the Kindle app and can't find where to buy them on Amazon (just get an option to add to a wish list).

FFS! How can it be so fucking complicated!?! I consider myself reasonably techy but am utterly stumped by how confusing it is.

Can anyone please enlighten me? TIA x

Tomzski Mon 07-Nov-16 17:43:14

Tell me about it, I am a tech head and the state of Audiobooks when you compare to what you can get on video/music streaming is just poor.

Easiest solution as you use an iPhone is to do what I do, buy your Audiobooks through iTunes! They have a huge selection.

If you are listening to loads of them then an audible subscription will work out cheaper, but if like me you listen to the odd one then iTunes is the best place I have found for convenience. Lot to be said for something being easy and "just working"

georgeistired Thu 10-Nov-16 10:25:58

It's honestly rubbish! I caved and subscribed to Audible (iPhone). I've found it to be cheaper than buying physical audiobooks (by far) and the app is pretty decent.

My biggest bug-bear is that you can't buy the audiobooks from the app (something about Apples terms of service I think and opening up browsers). But if you go on their website, buy the one you want, it'll automatically show up in your app then.

Far from ideal, but that's how I do it smile

atticusclaw2 Thu 10-Nov-16 10:28:32

sign up to your local library and get the audiobooks for free on your phone using Oneclick digital (free app).

Free books, free app. Altogether a better option than paying for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now