Raspberry Pi

(4 Posts)
littlem133 Sat 01-Oct-16 09:16:52

My DS10 is loving scratch at the moment and he really wants to expand on this. We have a birthday and Christmas approaching. If I get him the Pi3 board, can we attach it to our Mac and will we be spending hundreds on accessories-lights, sensors, robots etc? I don't want to spend loads of money on something that's a fad

reallyanotherone Sat 01-Oct-16 09:19:06

Watching smile

Ifailed Sat 01-Oct-16 09:26:07

you don;'t need to attach the Raspberry Pi to another computer, its one its own right. You will need a keyboard, mouse and a monitor (TV will do as it's got HDMI output).
You don't need to spend £100s on accessories, to be honest there's a lifetime of work just writing programmes. However it will add to the fun, you get quite cheep add ons through to the more expensive. I'd leave him to it for now, and only mention add ons if he enquires. Dont forget, a lot of existing devices already have usb connections and they can be used to control them (e.g. cameras).
Maybe worth asking at school to see if they have any knowledge, or if other parents children allready have one?

littlem133 Sat 01-Oct-16 17:22:11

Thanks for that. We've been you tubing it and they're controlling robots and all sorts on the videos!! I've found a local pi after school club that meets once a week. I might him there to see what he thinks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now