Can anyone recommend a good cheap laptop

(9 Posts)
maggsthegreat Mon 13-Jun-16 16:31:13

I am looking to buy a laptop and I have become mired in hundreds of options and reviews and have no idea what to go for.

This is what I need it for:
Browsing
Using word
Storing word files
Downloading the odd film (not so important though)
Skype (so would like a webcam?)
I would like a big screen (15in) and not bothered about it being too hefty, I don't want to fit it in handbag as have an iPad and keyboard for that.
Budget: max £400

It won't be used by anyone but me (no kids) for work/studying.

Thanks for any help!

cdtaylornats Mon 13-Jun-16 21:24:30

I would consider a chromebook - pop into PC World or similar and give them your list and have a test run.

LineyReborn Mon 13-Jun-16 21:26:13

I have had an awful experience with PC World.

QueefRichards Mon 13-Jun-16 21:31:17

I've just bought an HP Stream - I've got the 11.6inch version but it comes in 13inch too, so still a bit smaller than you'd like but might be ok? It's fabulous - does everything I need it to (which is very similar to your list) and was only £119 (£149 usually but I had a Very catalogue voucher). The 13inch is about £40 more IIRC. Plus mine's a lovely shade of purple rather than boring black! I love it smile

LineyReborn Mon 13-Jun-16 21:48:04

That sounds good value.

cdtaylornats Mon 13-Jun-16 21:57:26

I wouldn't buy it from PC World just look at it

kittykat8545 Thu 16-Jun-16 12:28:52

Okay, don't pick any lenovo laptop. Their smartphones are okay, but laptops are just awful. I worked in the IT sphere and all of my ex-colleagues avoided using Lenovo laptops, their high specs for low price are really catchy, I have to admit that. But regardless of the specs and stuff, they will not last long. And when it starts freezing it's usually a hardware errors, which are costly if you actually want good performance. Since you probably won't be running any gaming, and tougher software, I would recommend a Dell Latitude 3330. Hope I helped. smile

CodyKing Thu 16-Jun-16 12:32:49

Look or reevoo shopping or simular for reviews

You can sign into Google - Gmail account for a word/excel/etc version all free so you don't need to buy windows and it's stored in the cloud - so transportable

EddieTheElf Fri 17-Jun-16 22:59:23

Hey shameless plug here but you should try our website www.techelf.co.uk to find a laptop based on whatever criteria you have i.e weight, price, screen size etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now