I am technophobe - help me please with amazon prime

(7 Posts)
Mumonthesofa Tue 17-May-16 13:59:25

Hello all
I am absolutely useless when it comes to technology, I am the kind of person who likes CDs and desktop computers. Anyway - I have recently subscribed to Amazon prime - the children have kindle fires - can anyone please explain for me in simple terms what I am doing?
So I am at home on the wifi on the kindle and I can stream films and download them - is this all free? Also I have been listening to Amazon music on my phone - again is this free whilst on the wifi? How do I play the music louder - do I need a Bluetooth speaker/docking station?
Sorry for the really simple questions - I feel like I need to enter the modern age!

SisyphusDad Tue 17-May-16 15:05:54

In general the films and music are free, although paid films and videos are available - I think you would need to explicitly buy them, and the links to Prime music allow you to buy the music.

You can download the music for free on phones and tablets to listen to offline (like in the car) but not PCs.

You should make sure that you only allow streaming (real time listening) or downloads over wifi and not your phone's mobile data.

It's also very hard to share your Prime media with other family members without giving them access to everything - no Parental controls.

Hope that helps a bit.

SisyphusDad Tue 17-May-16 15:08:57

P. S. Yes, to play the music louder you will need some kind of external speaker. These range from cheap plug in ones that connect to the headphone, up to complex, expensive systems that can connect to your Prime account and play your music all over the house.

SavoyCabbage Tue 17-May-16 15:12:14

The free stuff has 'Amazon prime' On the top left corner. Like a 20percent

SavoyCabbage Tue 17-May-16 15:15:26

Whoops

Sticker in the corner. The not free stuff you buy from Amazon. I don't t think you could do it without realising so don't worry about that. If you can watch it or listen to it straight away, it's free.

I just bought a good speaker from Amazon. It's Anker and it was £24 99. It was cylindrical.

Mumonthesofa Tue 17-May-16 18:04:19

Thank you! Very helpful - greatly appreciated.

LadyTrevelyan Tue 24-May-16 18:46:53

Thank you for this - I ordered an Anker speaker and it arrived today. Very pleased smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now