Help needed with child proofing PC

(2 Posts)
Gisla Sun 06-Mar-16 12:40:29

I have Windows 8.1 on our home pc. It's a ten year old PC which originally had vista, and could barely cope with installing Windows 8 so I'm not going to try and upgrade to Windows 10.

My 5 year old is starting to want to play on the computer more and I don't want to have to hover over him all the time - the pc is in the living room in full view anyway.

However I would like some help with setting up a child account. When I set one up (no email address), all my husband's installed pc games and steam are visible on the desktop which I didn't expect so I suppose I'm going to have to.manually remove them from my son's account.

Is there a way to block certain ratings in the app store?

I was also wondering if anyone had any advice around internet safety? Which browser is best? I prefer Firefox for myself but do others have stronger parental controls?

TennesseeMountainPointOfView Sun 06-Mar-16 16:50:07

have a look at Windows Live Family Safety as it looks as though it could do what you want.

I don't know how good it is, but it might give a starting point.

There are a lot of free software options for blocking web access via whitelists, and with those, you really need to look at them and see which ones will filter out what you want, while still allowing access to the sites you want him to have - some will block things like iplayer for example because it has older-rated content within it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now